What's new

Taking Over A Wash - Need to Promote

leverage

Reaction score
I have recently taken over a wash with 1 IBA and 5 SS bays. It is in a good location with lots of traffic. The Mark VII is only 2 years old and seems to give a good wash. The business is slow and I believe the prior operator had let things go. I have a limited budget, but want to do everything possible to let people know we are a new operator and are committed to giving top notch service and promote the auto, which I believe many dont know exists, because it is hidden behind the neighboring building.

I was considering heavily promoting a one FREE WASH day, where everything is free. I would put it in the local papers, facebook, etc.. for a few weeks and give away hot dogs, soda, etc... Would this be better to do with a charity where maybe we could collect $1 from each person to go the them and ask them to promote as well?

Anyway, I am not an experienced wash operator and this wasnt a planned acquisition. But here I am with this wash and I am determined to do whatever is necessary to make this as successful as it can be. Any feedback from you guys is much appreciated. I am on my way there now to start work.

Thanks

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You gotta get out there and glad hand people. Figure out how to do free wash coupons and get out there and hand em out.

Don't do a charity wash till you know what you're doing.

Start by cleaning the place spic n span which isn't expensive.

Make everything work properly.

This can get expensive, but ask folks on this site where to get parts/soaps/equipment/vending items, as well as how to fix stuff.

A free wash day is a good idea but you'll have to publicize it heavily for a decent turnout as well as have a rain date, cause nobodys coming in the rain.

Token deals (if you use em) can be a way to market the SS bays to contractors, taxis and other businesses w/vehicles like plumbers, electricians etc.

Good luck. Many variables to owning a wash. Many aspects to it. Not a simple business by any stretch but it can be alot of fun, too.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
"It is in a good location with lots of traffic."

"I believe many dont know exists, because it is hidden behind the neighboring building."

I believe these two phrases are contradictory. IMO, the second phrase = bad location. I just don't think a bad location can be fixed. Whatever you do you need to go in with your eyes wide open and don't throw a lot of good money after bad. Admit when you are licked and need to throw in the towel. I really don't have any good advice for you because I think it is a dog mostly because the location is bad.

MudMoney

Reaction score
Oh boy, you got a tough one there.I have partnered with coca cola in the past when I did a yearly free carwash day,everybody got a litre of coke plus the wash.I also use tokens and gave them away to those that didn't want to wait.My tokens have the car wash name on them.I went around to every business introduce myself and got a lot of feedback about the past owners operation.You will only get one chance to make a good impression with customers,make sure everything is running right. Being a member of your local chamber of commerce would get you a listing of all the businesses and who to contact too_One year I did a promo on the radio name that song and gave away tokens to everyone in that business,if it was a large one I would limit it to a department of employees.I did door knob hangers with a flyer enclosed and a token taped to it.Getting the business won't be easy or cheap and figure at least a year to see any results.Over night success takes 15 years in IMO.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Simple thing that I have heard guys doing that works well:

When a customer is in a bay or using a vacuum, walk up and drop in a quarter/token or two. Smile and say "Thanks for the business, have a great day!". The word of mouth is the best advertising.

leverage

Reaction score
Simple thing that I have heard guys doing that works well:

When a customer is in a bay or using a vacuum, walk up and drop in a quarter/token or two. Smile and say "Thanks for the business, have a great day!". The word of mouth is the best advertising.
I like that. I was there from morning to night today and it seemed pretty busy. We had about 30 through the IBA and decent traffic in the bays. I was talking to everyone that came in and told them what we are up to. They liked it and said they will come back. I think I am picking up business already just from being there and talking to people and making sure they enjoy it. Now I am looking for something to bring in people quick, just to create some excitement. I am working on some ideas, but I love to hear what has worked for others.

leverage

Reaction score
"It is in a good location with lots of traffic."

"I believe many dont know exists, because it is hidden behind the neighboring building."

I believe these two phrases are contradictory. IMO, the second phrase = bad location. I just don't think a bad location can be fixed. Whatever you do you need to go in with your eyes wide open and don't throw a lot of good money after bad. Admit when you are licked and need to throw in the towel. I really don't have any good advice for you because I think it is a dog mostly because the location is bad.
I might not have said the second one correctly. The site is set a bit back from the road because there is a building right next to it which blocks the site line from oncoming traffic. I cant move the building, but there is some excellent opportunity to add signs, banners, flags, etc.. that will make it very visible. When I am done, it will be very hard to miss it, I promise you.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Before spending money on signage and a lot of effort making your wash visible make sure you know what the variances and sign laws are in your area.