What's new

Swapping out 10hp for 15hp blower motors

soonermajic

Reaction score
Do you guys know if I can just swap out my10hp motors, for 15hp motors (all 3 ph) on my blowdryers? 10hp doesn't blow a lick

MEP001

Reaction score
You'd need bigger everything, impellers, housings, etc. otherwise like I.B. said you'll just add 5 HP that you won't be using. If motor horsepower was the issue, you'd be tripping breakers now.

soapy

Reaction score
Motors and blowers must be matched to the correct sized ducting or they will quickly tear themselves apart.

Blanco

Reaction score
Manufactures make the impellers specific to the HP of the motors. They test several different types of impellers. Then they analyze the results (air flow, exit velocity, CFM, etc) to create the best combination. I would not mix and match.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The answer is that it is probably more involved. Did it once with an AVW Blower to save $ but had to change impeller, modify mounting, overloads and wires. At the end of the day, little to no savings. compared to replacing the whole unit.

OurTown

Reaction score
Could you reposition them or change the angles of them to be more effective? Are you using a drying agent or something that has it on all wash packages?

carwashireland

Reaction score
I personally like 15hp for sides and 10 on top. Their for sure is more blow but that would be motor and impeller also. Not just swap out a motor. Also need to check your cables and breakers can take the extra loading.

eckert16

Reaction score
30 HP now (10x3)... moving to 45 HP (15x3)... that's an amperage jump... make sure your main breaker box can handle the new Amp load and the startup surge...

Blanco

Reaction score
I suggest you do not swap motors, but if you do take the electrical into consideration as a expense also. Heres a few things to consider:

1. Wire size
2. Breaker or fuse amperage
3. Contactor rating
4. Overload rating

You will most likely need new contactors and overloads unless the ones you have are capable of running a 15HP motor. Breakers/Fuses is a must and wire size depends on what they ran previously (most likely underrated for 15HP).

Also, if you do go through with this and see your electrician trying to put wire nuts on a high voltage motor. Fire him immediately.

Split bolts with friction and electrical tape must be used.

MEP001

Reaction score
Also, if you do go through with this and see your electrician trying to put wire nuts on a high voltage motor. Fire him immediately.
Yup, I've seen a fire caused by that.