What's new

Surveillance System

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Just wondering who's using what for their systems. I'm looking at an H.264 DVR. Is a Linux based OS better or worse than Windows in terms of on site use and remote monitoring. Some sources are advertising PDA and smart phone accessibility, which would be very handy. Anyone utilizing this technology?
Thanks.
MC

Dolly6767

Reaction score
Just wondering who's using what for their systems. I'm looking at an H.264 DVR. Is a Linux based OS better or worse than Windows in terms of on site use and remote monitoring. Some sources are advertising PDA and smart phone accessibility, which would be very handy. Anyone utilizing this technology?
Thanks.
MC
Don't know if your talking about the same thing, but I mentioned these guys in another thread.

http://forum.autocareforum.net/showpost.php?p=28768&postcount=12

JustClean

Reaction score
Geovision Mulitcam 8.2 ( www.geovision.com.tw ) on Win XP Prof., 2 hard disks: 1TB and 450GB, 15 cheap Ebay cameras and 1 expensive number plate camera with infrared beamer. Second separate TV to watch the cameras and be on the Internet at the same time.

It is all computer based. The most expensive pieces were the Geovison Card and the NP camera. But they are worth their money. I have tried 3 different cards.

vinh

Reaction score
i like geovision also. built a server with geovision 1480 card and it works great. window server 2008. rock stable.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Just put in 3rd Q See System I bought thru Costco online. Still playing with Options and upgrades. 2 systems were 16 Channel and came with 8 cameras, and one was a 16 channel that came with 16 Cameras.

So far have bought 4 Sound capable cameras, which allowed me to have more for the systems that came with 8, (replaced 2 on the 16 camera system.) Have installed 1 extra hard drive (Each come with one 500GB and an extra one is a plug and play insalation, and installed one DVD burner which is also plug and play. Otherwise you can back up or copy to a flash drive. The initial Hard drive seems to hold about 2 weeks with 9 cameras running. I wanted longer storage. I will install extra hard drives and DVD burners in all.

Units are internet ready. Only one of my places has internet and I still need to figure this out. all cameras can be set for motion record only and each motion registers an "Event" which can be searched. The systems say they can be accessed by cell phones, but this must be part of the internet function as well.

In a few locations lighting is an issue where the camera is inside and are and looking toward the outside where it may be sunny, the picture is dark.

System with 8 Cameras and DVR (No DVD burner - about $40.00 or second hard drive - about $80.00) was $799.00. Cameras have 60 ft cables . Extensions / longer cables are available. I think I bought all extra cameras - with sound, and cables thru Amazon. Bought a 19" LCD at costco for $199 for 2 systems. Bought a 22" monitor with speakers for less and then realized it was like a computer needing powered speakers. So jbought computer powered spealers for $19.00 from Best Buy and needed an adapter fitting from Radio Shack. But the larger monitor is nice if you have 9-16 camers showing at once.

So total cost for 16 camera system with 2 sound cameras, second hard drive, DVD burner , and 22" Monitor extra cables and speakers was under $2000.00 plus our own labor for install.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Thanks.
MC
I use a system I purchased from Galen at Midwest Security Cameras. He's pretty knowledgeable about this topic and owns a couple car washes on his own. So he knows what you/we need in our industry. It's at least worth a call to him.