What's new

Surveillance Camera Question

washme1

Reaction score
The camera I am using to monitor my exit drive is capturing no more than 1/3 of the license tags leaving my property at night. This camera is designed for nightime use. If the vehicle stops in the ideal spot, has a clean, illuminated plate, I have a chance of getting a clear image. If someone is using a camera with better performance, I would consider buying it and moving my current exit cam to the entrance side (the entrance camera shows nothing in darkness). Please let me know who sells a good day/night camera and how much I should expect to pay.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I mounted a good Sony camera right above a light fixture that casts plenty of light toward the entrance, so the reflectiveness of the plate helps make them very readable. I only have problems catching tags if the car drives in way too fast because it blurs.

I've looked into "megapixel IP cameras" and found a few that would be ideal, but it takes special hardware to record from them.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Installing a strategically placed speed bump is a great aid in getting tag #s. You can get a yellow plastic bolt-down one from Graingers.

MEP001

Reaction score
Here's a huge range:

http://www.ipcamerasupply.com/category/ip-network-cameras/megapixel-ip-cameras

I had run across another I wanted to link, but I can't seem to find it - way more overkill than what galen posted. It cost $5,000, had built-in optical character recognition software and had the ability to operate a gate based on tag numbers or call the police if a number flagged as "bad" was detected, as well as something like 16 GB recording with media cards, all within the camera itself.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yeah, it probably wouldn't work very well when it's covered with snow either.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
In approximately 15 years I have had one plow guy break about 3' off of one of them. It hasn't been a huge issue for me.

It has worked perfect for the reason I installed it. Besides, if it is covered with snow there's a pretty good chance the cars aren't going to be traveling very fast anyway.

galen

Reaction score
Sure, I'll check several distributors to see which is the cheapest. In todays climate I may be able to twist their arm a bit.

JustClean

Reaction score
I went to a few suppliers and told them to sell and install me a number plate camera that captures 100% of the number plates day and night.
The whole show took much longer than what they thought it would and I got a really good deal as they had to replace the cameras and infrared lights 3 times before we got a good result.