What's new

Stringing in Dallas

luckyducky

Bought 3 SS washes Nov 09
Reaction score
Hey Ghetto Wash,

What part of town is your wash?

I've been getting strung all the time, apparently, and just now realized it at my location that is in crack-central (southwest of Dallas (near 20/35). I get a lot of people using my changer to get change for the laundromat, so assumed that was what had been going on. Bought the car wash in November, so haven't had enough of a base to really notice, and too lazy to count. Well, this morning, i went in to see a normally 70% full hopper, bone dry with only $120 in bills in it.

Have hamilton validators. I also have the changer on a timer so it's off from midnight til 6am (as the owner before me did), but i think that's why i never noticed a problem, because they probably strung it late at night, then if jammed, during the on/off of timer, it reset it for next day, so nobody called me to say out-of-order light came on.

Anyway, was curious where your wash was in case they are close. I don't have cameras setup at this location yet, as the walkers tend to tear apart everything. Literally, tore off the rubber bumpers around the vacuum islands. Didn't steal them, just picked at them and tore them off. Even had someone breaking off the dials on the bay boxes. I guess so they can then convince the customer to pay them to wash it, since can't turn the dial w/o pliers when knob is gone. Fun fun!

I'm going to switch out the validators with the Mars ones i have at another location, since many of you on the forums seem to think they are harder to string.

-Marshall

Randy

Reaction score
FUN, FUN, FUN. Which model Hamilton validator are you using? If you’re using the HVX I’d get rid of it ASAP. If you’re using the XE I’d upgrade the software to a v3.53. The 3.53 version software shuts down the validator for a predetermined amount of time when it detects a stringing attempt. The amount of time it shuts down can be adjusted in the field with training coupons.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I switched to MARS and haven't looked back. People try to string one of my locations on occasion, but they are unsuccessful. I find the shredded up bill in the changer and just pat myself on the back for making a good investment.

luckyducky

Reaction score
I'm putting in Mars tomorrow.

I've had issues though with my Mars at other location of taking money, but not giving change and not showing error code. I've been there when it happens on a $5 and a $10, so I know it's not just the ol 'machine took my money'. I even tested the actual bills, but of course it works for me. LOL

Randy

Reaction score
Luckyducky,

Thats a good idea.

If the Mars validator isn’t configured properly it will steal money. To test this, insert a bill and before it pays out the first bill insert a second bill. If it accepts the second bill before the first bill pays out the validator isn’t configured properly. Check the position of switch #6 you want it to be “Off” for “Harness Enable”

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I have never had a stringing problem, but have $1 high security tokens on order, you need to convert to tokens to eliminate this theft and vandalism. This should help eliminate most of the stringing or breakin problems. It would also give you the ability to give bonus tokens for larger $ amounts. I am switching over to eliminate future breakins. Also for someone that claims they lost $10 in the changer you only owe then tokens.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Clear Lexan window on faceplate for pinhole camera?

Hey Ghetto Wash,

What part of town is your wash?

Anyway, was curious where your wash was in case they are close. I don't have cameras setup at this location yet, as the walkers tend to tear apart everything. Literally, tore off the rubber bumpers around the vacuum islands. Didn't steal them, just picked at them and tore them off. Even had someone breaking off the dials on the bay boxes. I guess so they can then convince the customer to pay them to wash it, since can't turn the dial w/o pliers when knob is gone. Fun fun!

-Marshall
Marshall,

We have a lot of "no vehicle" people who have moved here from all over the country & tend to be desperate to get by sometimes & without scruples. Having enough activity at our facility makes it less likely what you describe will happen. Keeping prices affordable is part of the equation. Plus we actually lock up after 10 PM except for the Vacuums.

To stay ahead of this type of behavior & making sure the word gets out that they will get caught ---- I am considering putting a camera so it gets a really clear close up. It seems like the best way to do that is to have a pinhole camera through the faceplate of the more attractive or lucrative in their eyes --- changers, bill or coin boxes. Any input on the idea --- 1/4 inch CCD cam would probably be sufficient to make sure a straight forward positive ID would be more likely.

MJ

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I am considering putting a camera so it gets a really clear close up. It seems like the best way to do that is to have a pinhole camera through the faceplate
I have a glass front vendor right next to the changer and just last week put a camera in the vendor looking at the changer. Gets really good close up video of anyone doing something they shouldn't with the changer.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Marshall,

...Having enough activity at our facility makes it less likely what you describe will happen....
I've actually found the opposite. When I would get strung in the past (pre-MARS) it would be in the middle of the day with customers. Probably less conspicuos (sp?) by having people at the changers during busy times.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've also seen stringing occur in the middle of the day.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Potential Witnesses & Cameras Knock Out Punch!

I've actually found the opposite. When I would get strung in the past (pre-MARS) it would be in the middle of the day with customers. Probably less conspicuos (sp?) by having people at the changers during busy times.
Jeff, Miles, Whale, & others,

I guess there are situations where the hoodlums cover for each other ---creating decoy distractions etc. Otherwise it seems like the more independent parties at the facility tend to make for a kind of "check n balance" dynamic. "Healthy Neighborhood Watch Mindset" if you will.

This is why I never bought into the so called "blue sky" of the service tax --- it is only the customers that pay - not the owner - why worry - you're not the one paying argument. More money for more police or for "financially overcompensated" policemen coming from the less desirable politicians should not carry the day either.

MJ

MEP001

Reaction score
mjwalsh said:
I guess there are situations where the hoodlums cover for each other ---creating decoy distractions etc.
A friend of mine showed me video of his stringers. It was about 2:00 in the afternoon, and there were two of them. One stood leaning against the wall as the lookout, the other did the stringing. When a customer headed toward the changer, the lookout warned the stringer who emptied the cups into his pockets and headed toward their car. The lookout actually stayed there and chatted with the customer getting change while the stringer emptied his pockets in the car, then came back as soon as the customer went back to wash.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
A friend of mine showed me video of his stringers. It was about 2:00 in the afternoon, and there were two of them. One stood leaning against the wall as the lookout, the other did the stringing. When a customer headed toward the changer, the lookout warned the stringer who emptied the cups into his pockets and headed toward their car. The lookout actually stayed there and chatted with the customer getting change while the stringer emptied his pockets in the car, then came back as soon as the customer went back to wash.
That's pretty much exclusively the MO that I use to see when I had all of my issues. I too, had many stringers in the middle of the day while busy and once even while my attendant was there. Of course, the one that looked into my camera and grinned (SSCWN photo, back in the 90's) still gets my goat.

luckyducky

Reaction score
Put in a Mars validator Thursday, and today got a call that the machine was down... Drove down there and tah dah... was out of quarters, but FULL of bills. Yay! now let's hope it stays that way. Still going to look into token option too.

Randy

Reaction score
I just hate it when that happens.