What's new

Starting a Car Wash From Plain Green Grass

apex_storm

Reaction score
Hello, fello car wash enthusiasts...

I'm just a 16 year old guy that has been interested in car washes since 2005.

I am already work for a local car wash that is close to my house, so I already have an insight as to how the express tunnel system works.

There are some things that I am still unclear about that I would like to know.

a) How do you even start a car wash business? More specifically, what do you need to do in order to transform four acres of land to a beautiful-looking building? I know there is a long list of things you need to do, but you don't have to go into detail if you don't want to.

b) Where in the world do you even get the seven million dollars to build a car wash?

c) Does anyone know if it is possible to use a Tommy Gas Station/C-Store Model with Sonny's equipment within the car wash with an additional polish tunnel next to the wash tunnel?

d) Would it be wise to add a Soft Touch and Touch-free IBA next to the tunnel car wash entrance, to give customers the power of choice when the tunnel is closed?

Any tips/guidelines/advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Reaction score
If you're building from the ground up, always consider all options. We have a customer that has an Express Tunnel, IBA, Self-Serve bays, vacs and shampooers and he serves customers all the way from Honda Civic owners to Lamborghinis. Having high-quality products at a fair price can bring anyone into the wash.
Unfortunately, I can't help answer any of the other questions as we are a product provider for the industry, but keep your options open when it comes down to it. The car wash industry is a great one, but do your research and understand your customer base before diving in!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Start working on a business plan while working your way up the ladder at the car wash where you are employed.

There are plenty of books to read on writing a business plan.

Many people make the mistake of under-capitalizing this type of project ( I did!).

I got my start in detailing and caught a lucky break when a local real estate investor sold me a piece of land for $30k. He held the note, and when it was paid off, I used it as collateral for the bank loan.

The more homework you do, the better. Business is all about the numbers, so the more 'real' your income and expense projections are, the better.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
a) How do you even start a car wash business?

https://www.carwash.org/for-operators/invest

b) Where in the world do you even get the seven million dollars to build a car wash?

https://www.carwash.org/for-operators/invest/financing

c) Does anyone know if it is possible to use a Tommy Gas Station/C-Store Model with Sonny's equipment within the car wash with an additional polish tunnel next to the wash tunnel?

Tommy’s gas/c-store model requires franchise agreement.

Practice is the franchisor provides to franchisee its trade name, products and services, and an entire system for operating the business.

Generally speaking, franchisee is not allowed to deviate from model.

d) Would it be wise to add a Soft Touch and Touch-free IBA next to the tunnel car wash entrance, to give customers the power of choice when the tunnel is closed?

http://www.tripleplaycarwash.com/CarWash/24hourtouchless.aspx

Alan Bussey

Reaction score
Apex -

It is fairly common for people who build express washes to have active partners and/or to have silent partners who own, say, 20% or less.

If your partner(s) are in the business you may be able to get a wash built for about 15% cash equity, perhaps a bit lower. Typically conveyor washes don't cost anywhere near $7MM. On a really great 1-acre or somewhat larger site you are looking at about $3MM to $4MM Total Project Cost. Don't go cheap on sites. It is MUCH better to spend, say $1.5MM for a really great site than to spend $500,000 for a less-than-perfect site. The fixed operating costs for a conveyor wash are just about flat, so a significantly higher revenue wash will make up for the higher land cost in spades. These higher-volume express washes are sold for much much more than those doing less than $750,000 annually. So, if I were you, I'd get a university bachelors degree in accounting, finance, math/computer science, or engineering, or as a medical professional first so that you can start (and maintain) your career with a good job and a healthy income, THEN pursue your car wash goal. Learn the makings of a first class car wash site and do not compromise on that. Good luck!

Alan