What's new

SSCWN Article - Wash all you want

mmurra

Reaction score
It has been two months since the gated wayw (25 year old 6+2), opened. The business has increased significantly (along with associated costs, labor and supplies). The customers really like the concept, especially the folded terry towels for drying the vehicle. We have included free air freshener, carpet cleaning machine, triple coat in the bays, free tire air and attended 9am-7pm, 7days. We operate a laundry next door so it is not a big problem to process the towels.

Our express automatic soft cloth wash adjacent (2 doors down) has been negatively affected by customers converting to the automatics at wayw. We have decided to merge the two washes (close the automatic and move the customers to the wayw).

This has been a difficult decision as we have been at the same location for 42 years, washing over 2 million cars at the conveyor wash. Unfortunately, the Michigan economy has reduced the volumes of many car wash operators, ours included. We are better off running one location with a higher volume than two lower volume, competing car washes, in a small market. I will be putting the tunnel wash equipment for sale when I close the wash after Labor day. Wish me luck in converting the customers to the wayw!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Mark, can a customer wash in the in-bay as much as they want, free? If so, has that been a problem?

That's the one thing that concerns me about doing this here. Water/sewer costs here are over $1/car on my top auto wash. I could envision some kid coming in and washing twice, or three times for the hell of it. But again, I guess I can't focus on that small percentage of folks that I lose on.

However, I think I can just convert the wash to where the customer has a choice, SS only for $6, or add an IBA wash for $3 more (my top IBA is $10, so it's still a good deal.) I could make two different selections on the ACW and dispense a token for the IBA.

mmurra

Reaction score
Once on the lot, all services including the automatics, are unlimited use. I figure that some will abuse and most will not. If we find someone who is consistently unreasonable, we will ban them from the premises. So far, not much problem with this. We have a tanning salon with monthly unlimited memberships (we have been doing this for 10 years), and have not noticed much abuse. I will report the concerns as they arise. So far no noticeable problems. We got rid of the three other washes and kept the $6 wash at the automatics.

My biggest problem is low volume in a small (and shrinking) market. It was soooo nice to see the volume return during the grand opening. Lots of excitement. Even if it doesn't work, it was worth the try to see the customers lined up and smiling, like in the good old days!

Mark

Last edited: