What's new

SS washes as crime targets in a slumping economy

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I've owned a SS wash for 3 years. Mostly good times/good economy. I've taken usual precautions for security but nothing extreme. I do have a DVR and cameras and this has helped a LOT.

During the recent economic downturn of the past few weeks, bank robberies and similar crimes in my area have have spiked a bunch. Maybe it is psychological, maybe desperation.

A question to the board veterans-- have you seen a spike in SS attempted crime during previous periods of economic difficulty?

If so, what did you do then, or what are you doing now, to better protect yourself?

MEP001

Reaction score
I remember a big spike during the last downturn. A lot of people beefed up their locks or started removing money more often. A lot of cameras also went up, some fake, which didn't fool many people. Luckily we've had very few breakins, and in the last year I've covered everything well with real cameras. No one can drive onto the lot without their license plate being seen.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Cameras, Tokens, signage "No money left overnight", are pretty good deterants. Not many thiefs want to work at breaking into an empty coin box. Lighting and alarms are also very important.

MEP001

Reaction score
Lighting is good too - I was debating whether to turn off the rear row of bay lights, but since I recently went through and replaced all the bulbs and capacitors to make them bright again I've also noticed an increase in nighttime business. Both together should make a big difference in preventing breakins, and I've since decided to leave all the lights on.

Louise

Reaction score
I have had many break-ins. I have 13 cameras - all real, great lighting, alarm system. Seems the crooks in my area don't read or don't care as they know the pathetic sherrif's dept. won't do a thing.

Our local economy got a real boost after Hurricane Ivan and I STILL HAD BREAK-INS. So, at least in my experience, the economy doesn't have a thing to do with it. It is crack heads looking for their next hit.

denduke

Reaction score
We usesd to have a lot of breakin's, especially on the vacs, until a few years ago when we finally switched over to all tokens. It took me about 20 years to finally do it, but we were getting hammered ( pun-intended) and it was costing thousands in repair costs. I'm a big proponent of tokens now, both for our safety and that of our customers. We keep the lights on all night, which I'm sure helps. Be extra friendly with your neighbors ......... they are your eyes and ears when you're not there..........

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
We usesd to have a lot of breakin's, especially on the vacs, until a few years ago when we finally switched over to all tokens. It took me about 20 years to finally do it, but we were getting hammered ( pun-intended) and it was costing thousands in repair costs. I'm a big proponent of tokens now, both for our safety and that of our customers. We keep the lights on all night, which I'm sure helps. Be extra friendly with your neighbors ......... they are your eyes and ears when you're not there..........
Ditto... I went to all tokens over 4 years ago. Not a single incident since. It always seemed as in tough economic times was when when had the most problems with the low life's trying to get at the cash. I'm resting easy now that I am all tokens.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues yet. I think it helps that I toss every policeman in the county 4 or 5 tokens every time I see them. There is also a cop shop about half a mile north of me. I can't complain so far.

Etowah