What's new

SS door size

keniniowa

Reaction score
Starting to plan an addition to my wash, currently 1 IBA, 1 enclosed SS bay and 1 outside SS bay. Tenatively two bays 28'x32' with an outside bay on the end.

My enclosed SS bay has 10x10 overhead doors. My competitor's bays have 8x10 doors which seem short but some of that is that the bays are dingy in general.

I'm thinking 10' sidewalls with 8'6"-9' doors, but am looking for input.

thanks, Ken

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Most of my washes are 10x10. One has 4 8x10 AND 4 10x10 doors. The smaller door does let out less heat in the winter, they cost less, and large trucks can't get in with even more mud. only negative is guys with racks on the trucks aren't very smart and hit the building once on a while. I wish all the bays were 2 feet lower to filter out the messers just a little.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Ken,

I agree with John. I would be concerned about losing some of our high pickups & the fact that a large percentage of business are those with racks etc. Our truck bay is 11' wide which is nice for the vehicles that I cringe watching them barely get in with their side mirrors etc. in the 10' x 10' bays. My clearance signs specifically state 6 inches lower than actual height if door is completely open. That is to allow for somebody not paying attention to their tire pressure etc. & leaving our manual doors partially down on enter or exit.

Mike

keniniowa

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

One of my reasons for shorter doors it to try to keep the bigger messes in the one bay. Don't think you can get a door tall enough no one will hit it. The header over one of my 10' doors has a chunk out of the cement block from who knows what.

I have additional questions about bay size and construction are there any resource pages that spell all that out?