What's new

Spotting caused by drips from gantry

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I have a Jim Coleman Water Wizard and I noticed that water collects on the gantry, and when my customers exit, drops from the gantry spot the car. When the wash was built it never did this and I thought possibly it was from the film that collects on the gantry in between cleanings. The on board dryer blower spins around to blow these drops off but it not as effective in blowing these off as when the wash was new. I tried a buffer and some buffing compound to make sure the gantry was as clean as possible but the drops continue to collect and drip as the car exits. Is anyone else experiencing this? Also, I was wondering if there was a good stainless cleaner that I could use to get any film remaining on the gantry off. Also if there was some type of solution that repels water (I tried wiping it down with Rain Vision), that it might work. You would think with all the car wash chemicals I have I could figure this one out. If water was unable to collect I would not have the drips. Any ideas welcomed.
Buzzie

Last edited:

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
I have a Jim Coleman Water Wizard and I noticed that water collects on the gantry, and when my customers exit, drops from the gantry spot the car. When the wash was built it never did this and I thought possibly it was from the film that collects on the gantry in between cleanings. The on board dryer blower spins around to blow these drops off but it not as effective in blowing these off as when the wash was new. I tried a buffer and some buffing compound to make sure the gantry was as clean as possible but the drops continue to collect and drip as the car exits. Is anyone else experiencing this? Also, I was wondering if there was a good stainless cleaner that I could use to get any film remaining on the gantry off. Also if there was some type of solution that repels water (I tried wiping it down with Rain Vision), that it might work. You would think with all the car wash chemicals I have I could figure this one out. If water was unable to collect I would not have the drips. Any ideas welcomed.
Buzzie
Buzzie, First make surre that the presoak nozzles are not dripping out a little presoak as the car exits, we have had to put spring loaded check valves just above the nozzles to stop this from happening.
I know there is a lot of water on the underside of the gantry, but our spotting was from the presoak, just a small amount of presoak will make a lot of spots when it dries

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A good carnauba paste wax like Mothers or Collinite will repel water like crazy.

And they last.

Reds

Reaction score
I have had that exact same problem with both my WW since they were new. I see that the spot free and presoak nozzles throw a wide pattern and hit the underside of the gantry. I am considering putting some kind of deflectors above the upper nozzles to try to reduce the amount of water spraying directily on the gantry. I'm not sure if this would help or not. I would love to find a solution.

dpessler

Reaction score
We switched to narrower presoak tips so the presoak does not hit the top of the gantry. Got them from dultmeier. The spot free still hits the top - but it's spot free. Yes it's a problem but this helped a little. The WWII just doesn't dry good due to the 3 10hp blowers which is the max they can mount on the gantry. I have 2WWI with 3 15hp mounted on the back of the building which does a much better job. Doug

Reds

Reaction score
What make/kind of blowers are you using? Are they mounted on an arch inside the bay? Or outside? Or actually mounted on the building? Thanks for the info.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I have on board blowers with three 10 HP motors. I do not remember the water coagulating on the gantry when it was new. I was considering painting the underside of the gantry with some type of polymer plastic (like the chemical you coat the end of pliers with) If it doesn't work. I might have a big mess on my hands though.