What's new

Spot free rinse delivery pump

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
My sfr delivery pump is a Dayton multistage booster pump. It is only 3 years old. It has lost pressure and does not have the "umph" it used to. Inlet and outlet is clear. It gets good feed. The check valve is good. Has anyone tore into one of these pumps to rebuild them? I see Grainger sells a kit for $200. I want to exhaust all possible fixes before I spring for a new (probably Sta-Rite) pump.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of those pumps for RO to the bays. It can't keep a consistent pressure with changes in flow. Any centrifugal pump will be the same.

MEP001

Reaction score
I/we would usually build washes with a Procon pump, but our wash has a Cat 390 running 450 PSI. In order to keep the pressure consistent with variations in flow, a pump with positive displacement must be used, or one with so much volume that it has to be regulated down.

washnvac

Reaction score
Does it have a regulator? My multi-stage wears out a regulator about every other year. That is an easy $30 fix. Symptom is less preesure to the bays, and much more water to the by-pass.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Does it have a regulator? My multi-stage wears out a regulator about every other year. That is an easy $30 fix. Symptom is less preesure to the bays, and much more water to the by-pass.
No regulator. Straight in/straight out, wide open flow.

MEP001

Reaction score
"No regulator" may be part of the problem with the pump not lasting. I've seen those last 8-10 years, but they've always had a regulator. Without one, it's working unnecessarily hard, and it's probably damaging some of the stages.

washnvac

Reaction score
Agree with MEP. If there is a call for one s/s bay, and that wand goes in the holder with the spot-free still running, you are placing a lot of head pressure on the pump. It should have a regulator.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Agree with MEP. If there is a call for one s/s bay, and that wand goes in the holder with the spot-free still running, you are placing a lot of head pressure on the pump. It should have a regulator.
I agree. My delivery pump for the bays does have a regulator.
The pump I have been referring to in this post is for my iba. It has no regulator and simply gets a signal from the controller to turn on/off. There is never any head pressure on the pump since there is nothing but a check valve (yes I have checked that) between the outlet of the pump and the nozzles on the arch.

washnvac

Reaction score
That would make sense; this is the iba section. One other question: are you pumping out of an underground tank, or above. If underground, do you have a sump assisting in the draw up.

MEP001

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't even notice the section. I do exactly the same with autos, straight jet booster and no regulator. They usually last a long time there too, but you can replace the booster cartridges fairly easily.

Is there a gauge on the pump or plumbing somewhere? You could have a check valve not opening fully. You might even check the pump for prime - if they run out of water or have air back up into them, they have difficulty getting all the air out with pressure on it, especially if they're mounted on the wall, motor end up.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
The pump is not mounted motor end up. The supply tank is above the pump so the pump is gravity fed and in a flooded state. Plenty of feed, I checked that. The cost to replace the cartridges versus a new pump (same brand) is only about $100. I will probably just replace the pump.