What's new

Speedaire Compressor Fell Over - Broke!

Red Baron

Reaction score
Didn't know it wasn't bolted down. Luckily it's plumbed into a backup compressor so we didn't lose any functions.

Maybe you can save me a trip back to the car wash by telling me what likely is bent, as I didn't think to check it while I was there. I assumed it was the large pully on the compressor that was bent and was just going to get a new one, then it dawned on me that it's cast (pot metal) and I didn't think you could bend that. If not, it has to be a shaft on the compressor, which is a bigger project.

Thoughts (beside bolting down the compressor)?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
What makes you think something is bent? Does the pulley wobble or something? I can't imagine that it could hit with enough force to bend the pump shaft. I would think that the pulley is broken, examine it closely. Just yesterday I was removing a two piece pulley. I was tightening and tightening the two bolts to push it off and wondered why the pulley wasn't popping loose. I noticed that the hub flange was bending up until it broke off (looked to be cast).

I don't bolt my compressors down. I drill a hole in the floor and drop a bolt in it loose. This keeps it from walking. I think it also cuts down on some noise and vibration. I would loosely chain it to the wall or ceiling if you are afraid it will fall again. I would think it fell because it walked far enough for the plumbing to pull it over.

Eric H

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the pressure switch is damaged. My portable compressor fell out of my truck and slid across the highway. :( All it needed was a new pressure switch and works as good as new.:)

Wally

Reaction score
I bolt mine to the floor. I put a piece of 1/2 rubber under the feet to damper the vibratrion.

MEP001

Reaction score
You are supposed to anchor them, but not tightly to the floor. If you don't use a pad underneath, the vibration can crack the welds at the tank. I use an extra long wedge anchor and tighten it to set it in the concrete, but then back it off so the compressor will wobble a bit and then double-nut it.

I doubt that the pulley would bend. It's likely that the weight of the pulley was enough to bend the shaft when it hit the floor. You can get a replacement pump from Tractor Supply pretty cheap.

Make sure you break in the new pump per the manual.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Here's a Canadian solution...put hockey pucks under the feet, drill trough and bolt to the floor. You should also be careful not to drill through the entire pad...if you do, you may want to use some epoxy or hydraulic cement in the hole with the anchor to prevent water from coming up through the floor (depending on your location). Grounding the sucker may not be a bad idea too.

BigLeo

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I'm surprised that the thing fell over in the first place. No mater what it should be constructed without that being a worry, especially in light that they aren't light.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I'm surprised that the thing fell over in the first place. No mater what it should be constructed without that being a worry, especially in light that they aren't light.
It was a perfect storm of mishaps that killed the compressor. My son accidently stepped on the 1/4" automatic drain pipe that elbows out from the bottom. When it broke of course the air began rushing out. I imagine that spooked him and as he attempted to tip the compressor up to get to the problem...

Thankfully we have a backup compressor and didn't lose much time.

Btw, the compressor head is trashed, apparently from running with a bent shaft. Turning the pulley over makes a loud grinding noise that you can feel in your hands - the cylinder walls must be gouged pretty bad.