What's new

Spare Medeco keys for JE Adams vacs

OurTown

Reaction score
We have a two JE Adams combo vacs that we bought used and only came with one set of keys. One is a 2015 model and we do not have a key code tag. The second one is a 2004 model and we have the tags for the keys. I first called Midwest Security Products to see if they could get us some spares. I gave them the code for one and they said that they were the company that configured and sold those locks to JE Adams and that JE Adams still own the code. They said if JE Adams was willing they could transfer ownership of the codes to us and then we could order through Midwest. I called JE Adams and they said they would not do that. They don't even have records of the older vac and still won't transfer those. They also of course said that if I wanted to order some that I would have to go through a JE Adams distributor. So I have to pay twice as much to order through Kleen-Rite who will order from JE Adams who will have Midwest make them. Then they will be shipped to JE Adams and then drop shipped to us. Probably at least $60 for 3 keys which according to Midwest is about double. I understand the idea of restricting ownership of the codes for security reasons but this looks like more about money. This idea might be less secure because there are more entities that have your key codes. Do other car wash equipment manufacturers do this?

Randy

Reaction score
I think your best option would be to buy new locks from KR and then you'd have the key code that you could have keys made for your locks. It's not a simple matter of going to your local locksmith and having a spare Medeco key made. The key blanks are protected and only the owner of the code can get the key blank. So they are forcing you to go back the to the manufacture of the equipment or who originally bought the lock to get a key made. I sold a lot of bill changers and ACW's where the customer after they've taken delivery of the equipment they wanted a couple extra keys until they found out that an extra key cost $25 per key. I buy upwards of 10 sets of Medeco locks at a time, all keyed alike with an extra key for each lock. That way they aren't as expensive and I'm the only one who can get a key made. It's also a good idea to change the locks when you buy used equipment, you don't know who has keys for the equipment.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
In my experience, it's pretty much standard procedure to not be able to get a key made if it is not assigned to you, regardless of the fact that you already have a key and/or the tag. J.E. Adams not releasing it to you seems like a dick move though. I started buying all my locks from Ra-Lock. They would assign the key to only me. Replace your locks with some from them.

chaz

Reaction score
Yep. Buy direct from RA lock...then the code is issued to you....(maybe even negotiate that in future new equipment purchases). I was able to order a New LOCK keyed to a code not issued to me.....RA took care of me on that. Good point though do the vendors of the world switch off the lock codes they use?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Plus, if they are the same locks for both vacs, replace them all keyed alike and you need less keys.