What's new

Solving the "Credit Card Hole" Problem at My 8 Vacuums?

Carl

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions please! I purchased a Unitec WashPay system for credit card acceptance at my 2 dog wash tubs, 2 touchfree automatic bays and 6 self-service carwash bays. I omitted my eight vacuums 'cause I couldn't justify the ridiculous price to add credit card acceptance to all eight of them. Well, my customers are hating the fact that I didn't replace my previous E-Wash system (credit card acceptance that became PCI non-complaint) at all eight of my vacuums and they are voicing that they carry no cash or coins anymore and now they can't vacuum at my carwash and it's annoying! :mad: (and I worry it's such an annoyance I lose their business because of this)

I've been researching a lot here at the Forum and decided the best answer was to either go w/ Cryptopay or get an American Changer Credit Card Token Dispenser. I scheduled a meeting w/ my equipment distributor for this coming Monday to order the Credit Card Token Dispenser machine but I just finished reading another Forum post where some of you guys were mentioning how convenience is so important and I'm now pausing and thinking I do need to get credit card acceptance at each of my eight vacuums rather than just end this problem w/ a lame solution of getting the Credit Card Token Dispenser which it sounds like many of you predict will be a "bust" in that only a few will "take the steps to the machine" to swipe their credit card to get the one stupid token to then walk all the way back to the vacuum area to finally be able to vacuum out their car.

What would you do to make things more convenient for customers who've only a credit card to start up a vacuum? (credit card readers at the vacuums or one Credit Card Token Dispenser next to the bill changer?) Thanks! - Carl :rolleyes:

MEP001

Reaction score
I've talked to quite a few people who have put in a credit card to token dispenser, and it's been unanimous that the use was too low to ever profit from it.

The Cryptopay system makes the most sense to me.

washme1

Reaction score
I would put a cryptopay on a couple of the vacs with a sign alerting the customers that "this machine accepts credit cards." Volume of cc use on those vacs will help you decide whether to add more.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I think Wash me has a good suggestion. I am trying Cryptopay at the busiest 4 bays frst. Then I will decide on the other bays. The vacs have display timers, the vacs do not. I think this is important feedback for the customer.

If you go the token route (Not something I would do because I do not want to sort tokens and coins) keep in mind that there are other benefits like bulk sales discounts and and promotional giveaways available for tokens that are difficult to do by other methods in a SS. (I have a paper token for the bill acceptors for this but I can only sell them manualy.)

bigleo48

Reaction score
What does Unitec say about adding an less expensive VAC device?

I too have the WashPay server for my SS bays, Petwashes and IBA and would prefer having one system and not two.

Carl

Reaction score
Convenience is Key!

Guys - Thanks so far for the feedback. UNITEC WASHPAY - This is what I have everywhere except at my vacuums. I love it but the cost is so tremendous even just to outfit a couple more vacs but I will revisit this option because I agree Big Leo, it'd be nice to have just one system. CREDIT CARD TOKEN DISPENSER - You guys have convinced me this IS NOT the right solution! CREDIT CARDS AT THE VACUUMS - I don't want to have the problem I had w/ my year 2003 E-Wash credit card system where the equipment company folded a few years after installation, repair parts then unavailable, system forced me to stay on Windows '98 to operate and finally my bank ruled the system "non-PCI compliant" hence my installing WashPay by Unitec in Feb of this year. ATTENDANT'S USING SQUARE APP - Currently my attendants use the Square app to sell vacuum tokens on an iPad but I have two wonderful attendants who are senior citizens and despite the ease of use of an iPad, they are SO INTIMIDATED w/ using "tech" :eek: and they are unreliable enough at this task to warrant NOT being able to put up signs that say "attendant available to sell tokens for those needing to vac using a credit card". I need a fix that's convenient and available 24 hours a day not only "when a tech-saavy attendant is on duty". That means credit cards at the vacs or the credit card token dispenser but the latter now is nixed. But I don't want another "E-Wash burn" hence difficulty "pulling the trigger" w/ a company I'm unfamiliar with. Unitec's my best answer but their pricetag makes me a fool not to look at an alternative such as Cryptopay. I just want a long-lasting fix to my problem! I feel I'd get that w/ Unitec, but the pricetag almost forces me to "take a chance" w/ a Cryptopay so that's where I'm at. - Carl :rolleyes:

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I needed a changer and got a standard CC to token.
The machine works great, nut now that cryptopay
is out there i put that system in a wash that was
slower, and the crypto does 3 to 1 in CC sales.
compared to the changer.

MEP001

Reaction score
Actually the PCI compliance is to help prevent cardholders' data from being stolen.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Isn’t Cryptopay just like attaching a square app on a carwash device instead of a phone?

I can’t figure out how an operator would not like this technology especially if you want to hold on to the traditional self-service format, selling time (wands, vacuum) and service (in-bay).

I doubt whether a better solution to Unitec’s (plastic at vacuum) will come forward because the self-service equipment market is contracting.

OEM’s like Unitec, DRB, etc. that don’t make “carwash” equipment have to pursue opportunity. The most opportunity today/future is conveyors and in-bays, not wands and canister vacuums.

You could circumvent all of this with pay-one-price business model. Does this not appeal to you?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Isn’t Cryptopay just like attaching a square app on a carwash device instead of a phone?
No, several important differences. With square App you enter completed transaction data in the phone and then swipe the card and it charges what you entered.
Cryptopay authorizes the card, starts the timer, and then closes the transaction and submits it. It also has parameters you establish for this purpose such as minimums, maximums, increments. It also coordinates multiple swipers, i.e. Bays, Vacs, and vending so purchase from a single card go thru as a single transaction.