What's new

Solvent Expense

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I recently reduced my solvent (tar remover) expense from $16.83 per gallon to $7.79 per gallon.

Not too big of a deal, I guess, but will save a hunderd bucks a year.:D

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I let my fingers do the walking, making a few phone calls and experimenting with certain types of solvents available locally.

Looked through old expenses to compare. Was spending $17.95 a gallon for prep all in 2006. Then in 2007, I found a supplier who was $10/gallon. Used him awhile. Then began using auto parts and it was $13./gallon. Then they went up to $16.83/gallon. So I looked more, did some testing and found that pure mineral spirits work great on tar removal. No residue, takes tar right off. No adverse effects to moldings or paint.

Over a year, this is great savings for us. I bet I can do even better if I buy in bigger quantity! Just haven't looked yet!

MEP001

Reaction score
I use mineral spirits for all sorts of things too. It works pretty well for removing decal residue safely and almost without fumes.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
MEP1

Exactly. And sticky glue, tar, grease, etc. are what I need it for. Fact that fumes are minimal is super, as is the fact that it leaves no residue to speak of, making application and removal of wax a breeze!

Man, imagine if I had all those $10 bills that I overpaid by for YEARS on solvents???