What's new

solenoid valve question

cruth25

Reaction score
Ok, I have gravity fed soap and wax headed to my solenoid valves. I put in a new solenoid valve on wax and put the wax on the in part of the solenoid and 1/4 tube that runs OUT to my pump on the out part. When I run my bay on rinse it dilutes my wax. So, I put my pump side hose on the in part and wax on the out part. Now, it doesn't dilute my wax. Is that how you are supposed to install it? My tech guy at my supplier says Ill get a little bit of wax in with my rinse if I leave it that way. Well, All my wax and soap solenoid valves are setup that and im not seeing any wax or soap coming out of my rinse. ??????

soapy

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a check valve after the wax solenoid so HP rinse water does not flow back through the solenoid into the wax tank.

cruth25

Reaction score
My supplier said the same thing but when I flip it around and run it on rinse I'm not seeing soap or wax come out. At my other car wash, I installed solenoids on a manifold with wax on the in side and pump side on the out part of solenoid. I unscrewed my wax going into my manifold and ran a bay on that manifold on rinse. Does my manifold have check valves in them?

MEP001

Reaction score
cruth25 said:
Ok, I have gravity fed soap and wax headed to my solenoid valves. I put in a new solenoid valve on wax and put the wax on the in part of the solenoid and 1/4 tube that runs OUT to my pump on the out part. When I run my bay on rinse it dilutes my wax.
Dilling/Harris used the soap and wax solenoids in reverse configuration for years. A solenoid doesn't provide resistance to pressure in reverse flow, so you'd need a check valve to stop it. Reversing the solenoid does the same thing. The spring pressure is enough to keep it closed since there's no pressure behind the soap or wax.

Your equipment with solenoid manifolds must have check valves at the pump, or it doesn't have city water supplied to the pump on the rinse cycle.

cruth25

Reaction score
Thanks mep... That explains alot. My wash has a dilling Harris setup. My other wash doesn't, but I'm gonna switch them around so I won't have to worry about it so much.