What's new

Solar Electricity as a revenue center

bigleo48

Reaction score
My fellow Ontarians.

I was at a solar presentation by a not-for-profit agency last week and this is what I discovered for Ontario properties.

It seems that the Ontario government wants people/businesses to install solar panels on their roofs. If they get enough of them, it will decentralize the power supply and hopefully prevent the need to use the coal fired gen stations during peak daytime demand.

Here's the deal:

You install and pay for a 10KW system (best bang for the buck at about $90K). You feed all of it back to the grid. Guaranteed approval and hookup with 20 yr contract with government agency. Price paid per kilowatt is about 82 cents (about 10 x what you pay for it from Hydro).

Other nice tidbits, can write-off system in 3 years and it will not raise your assessed property value (won't raise your taxes). If you sell your property, contract can be transfered to the buyer with no penalty. As the panels are very visible, you can advertise your "Greener than your competitor"!

Based on the average sun in my area with a south facing roof, it should make about $10K/yr or a payback of 9 years...or 11% ROI (not including write-off). With write offs about 7yrs. Banks offering special rates for this application.

10KW system is about 50 4'x2' panels, some inverters (or one big one) and a meter. Very simple and no maintenance. System life expectancy is about 25 yrs with good panels, .5% degradation/yr.

If you don't have the cash to do it, you could rent your rooftop to someone who does.

I will have a local company do an audit of my roof and location to determine what I can expect.

Big

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I wish we could get a system like that running here in the US...With a flat roof facing East West, I catch some serious sun!

bigleo48

Reaction score
I wish we could get a system like that running here in the US...With a flat roof facing East West, I catch some serious sun!
Facing either directly east or west can cause as much as 20% less rays than due south.

However, if your roof is flat, you can position any way you want and typically at the optimal angle (around 33 degrees I believe).

With my 6"/12" pitch roof (27 degrees) which is not optimal, but close enough and so I do not require the angling brackets to get it up a little more. So a pitched roof is cheaper to install as long as you roofing is good for another 20 yrs or so. If not, then you need a new roof first :( Mine is metal, so I'm good. It would be a very easy install. A zoom boom for a couple of days to get the panels up and a day to get all the wiring in.

Big

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Wow, 82 cents. Talk about government intervention in the economy...
At 82 cents I'd be hard pressed not to install something - especially if you can really sell it ALL. Here in my county in PA there are no incentives, and I could only sell back what I dont use so my rate would be more like 8 or 9 cents.

Dick Rust

Reaction score
Solar Installation

Hello BIGLEO:
Here in Oregon, the state has been promoting solar projects on buisness property. They have a Solar Buisness Energy tax Credit of %50. The feds have a tax credit of %30.
The Energy Trust of Oregon also has a cash rebate program of $1.50 per watt.
The federal government also has a grant program through USDA for up to %25 of the cost of the solar project.
There is no program for these small projects to sell their excess electricity.
I am in the middle of a 10 KW project right now. Any excess electricity at the end of the year is given to the low income project.
It is still a good deal. With the tax credits, grant and rebate , payback is less than 1 year.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Is that a locked rate for the life of the contract? It sure would be fun to try, and would look the "green" part that is so trendy these days. I wish they had some giveaways down this way. Do you get to pick your panel brand?

For those that think solar is a good investment without subsidies, you can see by this example the subsidies and utilities paying well above current market rates for electricity the ROI is still barely in the double digits.

BTW, I have a decent book on the subject of solar "Photovoltaics, Design and Installation" it gives a pretty good basic intro to solar.