What's new

Softgloss XS rearms itself

Stumpy

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
We have been repairing our softgloss xs and amtt (both went through a flood and now we have all new internals in amtt; new plc / program etc in wash). Both appear to operate perfectly ... except. After a normal entry and wash (don’t have CAW), the in-bay communication box displays code 15 and the softgloss rearms.
As a test we ran a car through the wash and it didn’t repeat the last wash (or perform a wash we’ve programmed). It did this before and after we replaced the boards in the amtt).
The amtt will blank out (or display “carwash is closed”) around the dry cycle when the ghost takes over the machine.
I’m at a loss ... I hope this will make sense to someone.
Thanks in advance

Ryko CS

Reaction score
The first thing I would recommend is to go into diagnostics in the AMTT, and go into the network diagnostics option. I'd begin with the Network SBX test (this tests the comm board in the AMTT), then run the PLC network test (this tests comm to the PLC node). If the PLC network test fails, it will likely be either the PLC node (green box in Softgloss control panel), or the network wiring (should only be Belden 8760 wire). Ensure there is a terminator on either end.

If the network tests pass, when it rearms, is it rearming the prior wash? If so, this would indicate that the network isn't detecting the bayswitch output from the PLC to the PLC node. You can go into the system maintenance screen under page 2, and turn on "Status Display". This will show you some letters on the bottom of the screen. Normally, it would display C S W K. The C means it sees a CAW (will be "-" since you don't have one), the S means the SBX board is seen. The W means it sees the PLC node, and the K indicates the keypad is enabled. It will also say "Wash", and should indicate it's state. These can be ready, armed, washing, done or down. After 2 seconds of the vehicle pulling on the bayplate, you should see "washing". If not, the bayplate signal isn't getting through the PLC node for the AMTT to recognize. This can cause rearming.

If it is rearming a different wash, it's likely a backup wash. I'd suggest you go in and reprogram it to include different options not packaged together in your normal wash just for testing.

MGSMN

Reaction score
Also, In the carwash control panel pull relay K17 out of its base and leave it out [network back up arming relay].

Stumpy

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I’ve done the network test (both pass).
The screen status is “SWKE”.
Unfortunately, these are the only tests I can perform as I’ve now got a persistent code 33 error that I cannot reset (machine is home and próx switch is working and input 7 on plc is hot).
During the dry cycle of a normal wash the machine seemed to flash the amtt(screen went white and machine rearmed after wash). I shut off main breaker to unit and came back to it next day (after posting original question above). When I power back up the amtt’s programming was gone, including date, time, grand totals.
Ever since I’ve had this 33 that I cannot clear (so amtt displays “carwash temporarily closed” and status bar reads wash:down).
I hope this makes sense to you.
Could the plc be stuck?

Ryko CS

Reaction score
The AMTT issues and the carwash issues shouldn't be related.

For the AMTT losing it's program, you mentioned you had replaced the board. power down, and look really closely at the main CPU board. Specifically, the program and bitmap IC chips go into the sockets U17 (program) and U8 (bitmap). They are light brown in color. Look REALLY close at the corners of each socket. Do you see a line in those corners? If so, you likely have a crack, and that would definitely take it down.

For the Softgloss, code 33 is a not at home code. For a machine with standard bayplates, you should see PLC inputs X5 (top brush up), X7 (front endstop), X12, (exit end photoeye), X20 (entrance photoeye), X23 (VFD fault), X30 (backup input needs to be on), X43 and X44 (if you have wheel scrub), X45 or X46 (if you have onboard dry). You should not have X70-X74 (these are circuit protectors tripped). If you don't find it with these, send me a PM with your contact info and I'll have one of my advisors give you a quick call to see if we can figure it out.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Reaction score
Thanks again for quick reply. The hots on the input side of plc:
0; 7; 11; 20; 21; 23; 26; 45; 47.
Outputs are:
3; 14; 65.
I have wiper / on board dryer, no wheel scrubs, pressure switch at entrance (before undercar), photoeye on board trolley (x20).
X5 is hot when I pull top brush down.
Not sure how to pm ... I very new to forums :)

Ryko CS

Reaction score
All, just a quick follow-up if you are following this thread:
  • The AMTT losing it's program appears to have been caused by a minor crack in the bitmap socket on the AMTT. As it expands and contracts, this would cause it to lose programming
  • The rearming appears to have been caused by an ungrounded shield wire on the RykoNet wiring. Once tied to a solid earth ground (in one place only), he's ran several customer and it looks like it's working
  • The code 33 is "not at home". Somehow, the short bay setup question had been turned on, and the site doesn't have short bay. It was looking for that prox input when the machine was at the exit end of the track and in home position.
Hopefully these have resolved the issues and he'll be running the way it should!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
On my machine ( not a ryko ), there is a communication cable between plc and bay equipment. Maybe start there, testing continuity?

Ryko CS

Reaction score
On my machine ( not a ryko ), there is a communication cable between plc and bay equipment. Maybe start there, testing continuity?
Not sure what you are chasing with your equipment, but if two devices aren't communicating, that is always a good place to start, as well as verifying connections are corroded, etc.

Etowah