What's new

softgloss tracks

mac

Reaction score
If you want to outsource the gearboxes, the best way is to take one down to a large power transmission/bearing supply house, and have them match it up. Unless they recently changed, Ryko puts their data plate on everything, so getting a model number isn't doable anymore. I'm guessing that what Ryko does, like many other manufacturers, is spec out something slightly different on the box from its manufacturer, and then have it available only through them. Sometimes the spec is meaningless, like a seal for high temperture. A little investigation can yield some nice savings.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Maybe it is in MIchigan but it wasn't even close here. Maybe some disty's mark up more than others.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I have noticed Ryko's pricing on "some" parts to be cheapier then before are they now realizing what I told them over at the factory is that they are losing customers on parts because of the outragous price tag they put on things.

mac

Reaction score
I used to have a business selling parts for rykos that drove the factory nuts. I would sell things like gearboxes for 1/2 the factory, and I still made a higher margin than selling parts for other machines. On some items such as cables, they would mark things up roughly five times their cost. Keep in mind that because ryko buys in much higher quantities than I did, their cost was even lower. Be sure to buy Pitzer a beer the next time you see him, because it is because of this site that operators are finding out about this.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I do believe that it would behoove Ryko to remember who their ultimate customer is. I think for quite some time they have looked at the distributor as their customer and have geared all of their service and pricing toward making money for the disty's. As competetition becomes tighter this will come back to haunt them. imo

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Ryko does not gear pricing or service towards the distributor. Most states are factory direct areas. Ryko has the largest factory direct service department in the nation. I am surprised that a distributor would have higher prices! We sell at Ryko list price, I am not sure dist. are even allowed to sell parts for more than list. I would call the factory if you have a dist. who is selling parts above list price.