What's new

Softener sprung a leak

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
My resin tank sprung a leak. It is just a drip now, but believe that soon it will begin peeing pretty good.

Does anyone know if it is possible or worth patching a fiberglass tank, or do I need to be looking at replacing it?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I've done fiberglass patches before, always worked fine unless the tank is in really bad shape. But a fiberglass repair kit at the auto parts store, remove pressure from the tank before you try to patch it.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Ghetto Wash,

It depends a lot on how much city water pressure you have going in to the tank. About a year ago we had a professional try to patch an upper valve housing that was made of fiberglass with a professional kit. It did not last more than a day. The softener valve housing was a more irregular surface so I suppose that could have been a factor. Our city water pressure varies between 50-60 PSI. The professional has a reputation of being the best. He was good enough to cancel the bill -----so he even shared the risk. We brought it over to his shop so he also had the "in his own shop" advantage.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Bought a fiberglass repair kit at the autoparts store. Its been about two weeks and still no leak. Thanks for the tip.

mac

Reaction score
If the leak was on the smooth outer round part of the tank, I wouls also put a couple of large screw clamps over it.