What's new

ShurVend—A Look Back @ 2009

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
I got tired of watching all the “bowl games” that are now available on TV, so I decided to look back at our results for this past year. The previous year we set some goals for ShurVend and were very happy to “Post” on December 31, 2008 that we had made our sales goal as well as other goals. So in January, 2009 we took some time and, again, set some sales goals and other goals for this past year. Like many others in the car washing industry, sales did not go as we would have liked, so we did not make our sales goal in 2009. We did achieve other goals by improving the building of our products faster and more efficiently, adding new technology to our vendors as it became available, designed some new models to offer to the industry, and just plain got better at doing what we do. Many thanks to Leslie, Paul, our customers, and to Forum members for giving us feedback and input to help us get better.

We were doing pretty well with sales during the first half of the year and then June/July came along; after those months it became a struggle through the end of the year. I made phone calls to many operators and distributors after sending them quotes to ask how we could help them. Many operators said right up front that they were in a holding pattern because they weren’t sure how the economy was going to affect them. Many others told us the banks were not going to finance any improvements. Others told us that the cities are demanding all kinds of changes in their plans or just plain dragging their feet for approval with all sorts of regulations trotted out to add to the costs of rehabbing or building a new wash.

Cont'd

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
All government entities are short of money these days so they are trying to “greenmail” (b---kmail, I say) operators to get the fees necessary to make the city (in their eyes) “more beautiful”, or upgrade the roads, sewers and water systems. Naturally many operators just said “forget it”. I had one city here in California want a picture of the vendor/cage so they could “approve the aesthetics” before giving approval. Even Australia is demanding “licenses” for operators/distributors to import the refrigerant used in the AMS machines. All in all it was a very frustrating year for ShurVend, my staff, for our suppliers, for distributors, and for operators and investors. I, like may others, am glad to see 2009 gone!!!!

Well, I have to go do some cooking now since my wife is infected with the “bugs” that fly around this time of year! So rather than say “Happy New Year” to all of you this time around, I will only say that I hope all of us have a “Better Year” in 2010, God willing.

Uncle Sam :)

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Happy New Year to Uncle Sam and the Shurvend team.

I was one of the operators who did get to 'pull the trigger' on a Combo Soda/Vending machine that features 51 selections.

I am very pleased with the results and my vending revenues have definitely increased! The machine is super-reliable and customers love CC acceptance!

Shurvend delivered more than their promise and also provided payment options that made my purchase possible.

I know I will be hitting my stride with vending in 2010 as I refine my machine's selection of cleaners, protectants, drinks and even toys!

I plan to add graphics and rope lights this year to make it 'pop'.:cool: