What's new

Should you SEE the wax?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Is it just as important to see the HP Wax as it is to smell it? Or if you see it on the car, is that an indication that you're mixing too lean?

About 6 months ago I redesigned my chemical delivery system to my HP pumps and did such a good job that my soap coats a car and my wax can be seen really well. So much that you have to use a rinse (preferably spot free) to remove what you can see. When I say "see" I mean that you can tell you're getting a chemical and not just water as I have seen at other washes.

I'm thinking seeing the wax and having to rinse what you can see is a good thing (more time), however, I'm curious to everyone else's thoughts to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

waright

Reaction score
good question. I'm sure there are many different opinions here. I do not like to see the hp wax. If it goes on the car cloudy, I turn it back until it clears up. I can smell it, so I know it is still getting to the car. IMO, wax is the worst product as far as spotting a car. All the little white dots left on a cars' surface, windows, and mirrors after a wash are usually wax that did not get rinsed off.
Each one of my customers (I sell wax) has a different idea on how it should look. Some want to see it go on "cloudy", some want it to bead heavily, some want more of a lasting sheen. In my washes, I use a product that does not bead very fast, it pulls away slowly when applied. Then I always high pressure rinse after the wax cycle to help remove any excess, then followed by spot free rinse.
What do you prefer...beading or sheeting, cloudy or clear. If the customer can't see it bead heavy right away or can't see the "cloudy" look but they smell it, do they know they are still getting it? To me, the most important thing is that there are no little white wax spots on the car when the customer gets home, so I tend to go thinner on the wax ratio, using a product that does not bead super fast, but leaves a better long term shine.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I always have a goal of seeing the behavior of the residual water changed to bead or break on the car. If it's not doing that, I don't think there is enough wax being applied.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
My customers want to see the wax. Yes it smells good, yes it beads the water, YES they complain if they do not see the wax.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've tried a carnauba-based wax that has no fragrance and no "show" but would bead well on a car that hasn't been waxed in a while, but the customers who hand wax their cars regularly would complain because the wax would bead the same as the rinse. I actually liked the product but quit using it when it would separate in the dilute tank. I went back to a foaming, cherry-scented wax which puts on a better show and never looked back.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
If the drying agent or cheater wax contains mineral seal oil, you may want to consider making a more diluted stock solution instead of cutting back on the amount you inject as a way to help eliminate the spotting problem. Adding a little warm water will also help the drying agent work better, allowing you to use a more diluted solution to help reduce spotting.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep you can see and smell my HP Wax. Milky white-ish and cherry scented. BAM!:D

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
Wax?

Wax and water do not mix. The wax would have to be near boiling temperature and maintained all the way out to the bay to be applied, period. So the "chemicals" your using should be seen. But it's not absolutely necessary. The absolute bottom line is it must bead the water. Smelling the mix is a much added benefit. Stimulating the human senses is the object. Adding lights, not necessary but again you want the customer to have an experience close to an artificial orgasm. ;)

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's responses. I'll probably go one tip size smaller on my HydroMinder and maintain injecting the same amount of mix.

Regards.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wax and water do not mix. The wax would have to be near boiling temperature and maintained all the way out to the bay to be applied, period. So the "chemicals" your using should be seen. But it's not absolutely necessary. The absolute bottom line is it must bead the water. Smelling the mix is a much added benefit. Stimulating the human senses is the object. Adding lights, not necessary but again you want the customer to have an experience close to an artificial orgasm. ;)
Galen

Thanks for the scientific explanation. I wonder if I've ever experienced an artificial orgasm?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Not too long ago their was a suit regarding the use of the term wax in a car wash. Technically there normally isn't any wax in most of the products listed as wax but they usually do contain many of the other ingredients found in a hand or machine applied wax. The correct term that should be used is a polish or protectant for products with some form of protective agents. The products listed as a shampoo, foam or conditioner are most likely just soaps without protective agents. Many chemical companies play rather loosely with these terms so the only way to be sure which is which is to check the MSDS sheets for the ingredients or contact the manufacturer.

Normally it is considered the best "show" if the product beads and gives off a fragrance. If it is too milky looking some people are concerned that either too much wax might cause a problem on the windshield or that it does not rinse well. It boils down to what you as an operator think your customers' expectations are.