What's new

Shopping in Texas

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Use the icon, that looks like a globe and a link of chain. If it is on your HD, then it won't work, it has to be on line somewhere, then you can put a link to it. In Fats case the video was on his computer, he needed to send it to me and I put it up on the server.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, maybe I should stick to working on car washes, instead of being the next Bill Gates! LOL!

Red Baron

Reaction score
How ironic, I just returned from purchasing a Glock .40 for our new wash. I have 3 S&W Sigma 9mm because they're cheap, but my son collects money at the other location and wanted a Glock.

Without giving up too much info, where's a good place to hide a gun in the ER but to still provide quick access? I've got some good ideas and I was going to share them, but then I'd have to kill you. lol

MEP001

Reaction score
I've thought about this myself - I can't help but think that if you don't have the gun on your person, you're better off without one at all. You don't want someone following you into the equipment room when you have money out, or forcing you in at gunpoint. Keep the door closed and locked when handling money and use cameras or a peep-hole before opening the door.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Good advice Mep. That's why I got a concealed weapon permit, so it would be legal to carry. Everytime I go in the equipment room, the door is locked and I always check the cameras before returning back outside. Don't take anything for granted.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Hmmm. More planning is in order I guess.

My son and I are going to get our concealed carry permit, but its restrictions seem contrary. A car wash owner collecting quarters from vacs with a handgun on his side seems to be a deterrant, whereas the requirement to keep it concealed is not. Being born & raise in old Dodge City, I guess wanting to strap on a piece comes naturally...I'm your Huckleberry. lol

We don't count the money at the car washes, but we still have to handle it and you never know who's watching you to note a pattern. I've told my son till I'm blue in the face that he should lock the door behind him, but it only takes one time forgetting...and given that, I prefer my chances of getting to my hidden gun and shooting the bad guy before he can shoot me, to having access to nothing more than a shovel if a guy walks in to rob me. We have a set routine when we get to the washes in the am when it's dark that dramatically reduces the chance of walking in on some guy already in the ER.

I'd like to hear from others about what precautions they take.

MEP001

Reaction score
The first rule is to not have a set routine. If you have to pull money on the same day every week, for example, try to vary the time as much as possible.

In Texas you don't need a concealed weapons permit to carry a gun if you're handling money, but the required training to get a permit (and actually having the permit) is a good idea.

If you're really concerned about being robbed, the best protection would be to have at least two people do it. A friend who had a wash in a bad neighborhood told me that when he'd kneel down to open a bay vault, he'd have his employee stand behind him with gun concealed but with his hand on it ready to be pulled out.

You could install a "panic button" in the ER just inside the door that sets off a loud siren and calls the police - it might even be doable to rig up something that would drop down and block the doorway behind you at the same time.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
Texas insurance

I not only have a CCL but I have a very devoted 95lb. Giant Schnauzer dog that will not let anyone near me when I put him on guard. He's very lovable except when he is working.

dclark3344

Reaction score
I keep my 38 Smith & Wesson body guard special in my pocket. The 5 shell in the revolver weigh almost as much as the gun. I am less concerned about being in the equipment room as I am outside when collecting. I am always looking around and if I am uncomfortable with someone then I wait. Better safe than sorry. You really do need to take the conceal carry course to save you a$$ if you ever do have to use deadly force. You learn that when you pull your weapon, you pull it to use not to scare or intimidate.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Enjoyed the video link. :)

I have a can of mace hanging next to the bill changers, cant see it unless you know its there. Have thought about keeping a 38 there as well.

I also have a concealed carry permit, but dont usually carry.

Eric H

Reaction score
I really like the idea of keeping mace handy. Leaving a weapon in a changer just does not sound like a good idea. Changers get broken into, then some criminal has your money and you $400 gun. Plus, if you let an employee have access to the changer they have access to your gun. They better know how to use it and be licensed.
I'm actually surprised to hear that Texas is difficult to get a license to carry. Here in MA it is a $75 basic safety course and a $100 permit fee. The only restriction is most people get a LTC B vs LTC A. An LTC A is High capacity fully automatic. Those deer don't stand a chance against an UZI.