What's new

Sensortron troubles -

Etowah

bigjws

Reaction score
I need some help from hopefully Dan if he's checking the forums or one of you other electronics wizards..

One of my bays has a Sensortron that is rejecting all quarters. I've swapped out to a new sensortron, same thing. I swapped one from another bay and it does the same thing, and then put the 'bad' one in another bay and it works fine...so it's definitely a problem within the bay. It's acting as if it's not getting any power - but I've checked the power actually coming into the sensortron (the little yellow and black wires) and it's showing the same 25/26 amps as the other bays, so the power is getting to the acceptor. I also have a Dixmor dx300 that it connects to, but that is working just fine. Is there something else besides a power loss that can cause a sensortron to reject everything? Would it maybe be that I can get 24 amps when testing, but under load it's losing power (I just realized I only tested the incoming power when it was disconnected from the sensortron)?

mac

Reaction score
Good question. First you are actually measuring 24 volts of alternating electricity. It it was pulling 24 amps you would see a small cloud of smoke. We know it's not the acceptor. I would start by disconnecting the timer from it and see if it works then. Let us know what you find.

1carwash1

Reaction score
Check the yellow and black wire connections. A high resistance contact can cause a voltage drop under load. If you can, measure the voltage while the Sensortron is connected.

bigjws

Reaction score
Got it working .. changed out the two power wires from the terminal block that wire nut to the yellow and black wires of the sensortron and it’s working. I assume they must’ve been like 1carwash1 mentioned and were dropping the voltage...were definitely old wires.

And yes.. 24vac not 24 amps 😉

mac

Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know what caused it. A bad wire, especially on a low amperage device, is usually the last thing you suspect.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Got it working .. changed out the two power wires from the terminal block that wire nut to the yellow and black wires of the sensortron and it’s working. I assume they must’ve been like 1carwash1 mentioned and were dropping the voltage...were definitely old wires.

And yes.. 24vac not 24 amps 😉
I was off last week but am glad you found it. Old wiring is something I fight daily.