What's new

Sensible Option Helps Stabilize Full-Service Unionization

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Traditional full-service overhead may rise even further at a time when increased economic pressures may force some out of business.:mad:

Labor woes in California seem to have reached unprecedented levels... with organized labor causing some operators to consider alternatives.:confused:

One sensible survival option is to upgrade to flex-serve... and, in doing so, prosper.;)

Some may simply shift to express exterior... and forgo the hands-on services that their already established clientele seek... and prefer.:eek:

Others will choose a more sensible approach... and offer their customers a choice. By offering both express exterior as well as hands-on aftercare services, smart operators will reduce the number of hands-on labor... and generate MORE profit by serving the existing needs of their established customer base.... as well as grow their business volume IMMEDIATELY! Most full-service carwashes haven't even approached their facility's actual throughput capacity. Flex-serve can improve that factor straightaway.

(continued)

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Many traditional full-service have already upgraded to some form of flex-serve, and are enjoying the benefits. Others who felt secure in their existing operating platform are urged to take another look... and consider a more sensible option.Yes, flex-serve requires labor, but the staff is significantly reduced... and much more productive... and profitable. Labor is upgraded to more efficient cross-trained teams of 2, and the operator finally takes full control of prudent labor utilization. Increases in demand is more efficiently managed by balancing your trained staff efficacy. Waste is dramatically reduced. Revenue is enhanced.;)

MAKE CUSTOMERS HAPPIER!
Reduce labor significantly.
Grow volume instantly.
Increase net profits immediately.
Dramatically lower management stress level!
Owners will be happier.. and healthier!

With the recent news of unionization :eek: drives and greater scrutiny of labor issues in California, flex-serve may provide the most sensible solution... as well as enhance and uplift traditional full-service operations.

Southern California carwash operators, what's not to like?:confused:

-Steve;)

Chiefs

Reaction score
Hey Steve,

How much is that Flex-Serve Jump Start Guide? P.T. Barnum had nohing on you!

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
What's Not To Like?

Hey Steve,

How much is that Flex-Serve Jump Start Guide?
My post isn't about the book... and I don't use the forum to plug my book.:rolleyes: Besides, much of what I'm referring to is available on this website... as well as others... for free.

It's important to focus on the sensibility of full-service operations upgrading to flex-serve in the face of the pressures being brought to bear upon them with intense scrutiny regarding their labor management.:(

Flex-serve makes life much easier, and still retains the ability to provide their customers with hands-on service. In fact, the hands-on service gained from the flex-serve aftercare platform will significantly enhance those services... and enable more realistic pricing to cover their overhead.:)

Many f/s operators have already made the transition, and afterwards wonder why they waited. The increased pressure will get worse, so it makes good business sense to make the improvement move now.:cool:

I advocate change... because it makes sense... and I genuinely care about this industry. It's been good to me... and I want it to be good for others.;)

-Steve

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Steve:

Is flex serve only for conveyorized automatic car washes? Is it possible to implement it for other car wash formats, like IBA? Is it similar to express detailing? Is express detailing an 'aftercare' service? What are the diffrerences/similarities between flex serve/aftercare services and express detailing services?

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Hey Steve:

Is flex serve only for conveyorized automatic car washes? Is it possible to implement it for other car wash formats, like IBA? Is it similar to express detailing? Is express detailing an 'aftercare' service? What are the diffrerences/similarities between flex serve/aftercare services and express detailing services?
OMG Dave where have you been? It's gonna be a LOOOONG response.

And BTW I never saw Steve plug his material here on the forum. He and other free encourage FS operators to move to FLEX service.

Personally, I think that many FS washes have not operated as "legitamate" businesses because many (not all or the magority) relied on paying under the table or illegal labor, or no taxes or no WC insurance.... etc. Flex Service bring FS out of the 20th century and into the "light" and give a profit margin into a marginable business (especially with increasing pressures in labor, insurance, cost of goods). The next 6 -12 months will likely finish many "marginal businesses" anyway. Now is the time to try what ever you can to trim down you overhead... and that biggest cost for a FS is usually LABOR! And the BEST WAY TO DO THAT IS TO GO FLEX!

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Flex-Serve works with InBay Automatics, too!

Hey Steve:

Is flex serve only for conveyorized automatic car washes? Is it possible to implement it for other car wash formats, like IBA? Is it similar to express detailing? Is express detailing an 'aftercare' service? What are the differences/similarities between flex serve/aftercare services and express detailing services?
:confused:

You bet it does! :D It works especially well with multiple IBA. And it's a great way to boost revenues and offer TOTAL-SERVICE choices.

The aftercare component is for all "hands-on" services... and is not limited to typical express services either. It can be a mini-detail shop with EXPRESS (rapid-delivery stuff like interior Extreme-Clean and exterior Intense-Shine orbital waxing)... as well as EXPRESS-PLUS (quick service that takes a little bit longer, but much faster than a traditional detail shop... like interior carpet shampooing, headlight lens restoration by buffing, or ozone sanitizing of air-ducts) The extra time provides greater opportunity to broaden your offerings due to enhanced lead-time.

Flex-Serve is perfect for ALL automatic carwashing venues. :)

-Steve

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Doug...

My heartfelt sympathy, along with countless others who have grown to become your friends on this forum, share the pain of your loss... and wish you comfort when reflecting on the good memories that keep her in your heart and on your mind.

-Steve

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I always just remember flex serve being associated with conveyors, that's all. As you may or may not know, my new detail shop is now 2/3 complete. It sits right next to my wash and the opportunity is there for aftercare services besides full-serve detail. My detail operation is very busy March 15-Jan. 15 and slow the other 2 months. This was fine the first year the car wash was open, as it was a great winter, weather-wise, for the wash. This winter the weather was crummy with too many snow/sleet events piled on top of each other . Consequently, customers did not get much of a chance to wash in between storms, resulting in lower than expected volume.

I am planning to implement some express detail services with the opening of my new detail shop. The plan is to offer a mid-way price point between car wash and full-serve detail and make it convenient for customers as well. I'll be at the ICA show and hopefully learning more on how to implement this program. I'm excited for it.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Flex-Serve Is Designed To Adapt... And Is Scalable To Fit Most Any Application

Actually I misspoke. :eek: Flex-Serve is applicable to Hand-Carwashing, too!

Just think outside of the box and recognize that there is carwashing... and hands-on stuff that refer to a "detailing".:D

Irrespective of "how" you choose to wash, you must separate washing... from everything else.

To better understand, think back to the stereotype carwash; a full-service carwash. It combined washing the outside... with interior cleaning.:rolleyes:

The carwash included all that could be done automatically... with catching the shortcomings of the wash, namely drying all the residual water missed by the air dryer.

All the other stuff is related to the interior; window-cleaning, vacuuming the carpeting and upholstery, wiping the dash & console, and drying the door-jambs.

Actually, the EXTERIOR carwash was really the only true representation of a "wash".

Everything else was, and still is, "hands-on" stuff.;)

So, Flex-Serve segregates washing... from the "hands-on" stuff. And in doing so, it offers a more effective way to manage your operation.:cool:

(continue)

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
In your case, hands-on stuff can mean everything else done in a traditional detail shop. Ditch the "full-service" detailing dialog :p and upgrade your operation to be a TOTAL-SERVICE carwash, which includes every aspect of detailing — from the simplest interior air-purge & vacuuming, a complete wipe-down with a mild (diluted) dressing for the kick-panels, dash and console, cleaning the door-jambs... and streak-free window-cleaning. Savvy operators also give the door hinges a quick squirt of lubricant to ease their use — to the most complex detailing surface repairs. Truly a one-stop shop for all automotive appearance-care services.:D

In flex-serve, we upgrade what is expected in a full-service "wash" and refer to it as an Interior Extreme-Clean. Because it's done by a detailer, the general perception is that all hands-on tasks will be done better.;)

It's all in the new edition of my book. If you want to discuss it further, I'll be hanging out at the SAFETVEYR booth.;)

-Steve:)

JK Xpress

Reaction score
It's all in the new edition of my book. If you want to discuss it further, I'll be hanging out at the SAFETVEYR booth.;)

-Steve:)[/QUOTE]

I think you just plugged your book?!?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Steve

I honestly don't mind if you plug your book. Matter of fact, I think it'd be a good thing for me to read with my new detail shop going up and opportunities to improve popping up with my expansion.

I do think you use the emoticons a bit too much in your posts, but hey that's my preference:D;):p:):cool:

My new focus is marketing and promotions at my site. I intend to market myself as you say; a 'total service' car wash and detail shop. Look forward to seeing you at the show!

Chiefs

Reaction score
You hear the story about the man driving a watermelon truck? He was losing 10 cents a melon so he traded his truck in for a bigger one. Now he's only losing 5 cents a melon.

With energy prices straining family budgets, its all you can do to get people to wash their car for $8-10. Labor intensive services certainly produce more gross revenue. But many people now have to decide bet. a car wash or gas or food money. Expensive, labor intensive services will inevitably suffer. It has nothing to do with your services, their value or quality. Rather it has everything to do with people's discretionary income. With the consumer under pressure, maintaining wash volume and revenue per car will be enough of a challenge. The decision to purchase value added services will be reserved to those who can still afford it.

A great deal depends on just how many hours you are willing to dedicate to being involved in day to day operations. Washing car exteriors is all about high volume and low labor costs. Full serve and flex serve are all about being there, shaking hands, and kissing babies, and inspecting the final product. Oh and did I forget to mention finding, training, and keeping good employees. Good luck with that.

Evertime I think about adding after care services, I clean the inside out my van out completely and then detail it. Its only when I'm finished do I realize that the headaches, the liability, the insurance, and the labor just is not anywhere near as profitable as washing cars, not to mention 10 times harder.

Get together with a local deatil shop. Offer them the ability to advertise their services to your customers directly and take a finder's fee/commission and be very happy that you don't have to do the work or accept the liability while you spend more time with your family. Work hard when you have to but be sure to stop and smell the roses along the way. Remember no one ever said on their death bed, "Gee, I wish I could have worked just one more day."

briteauto

Reaction score
Well put, Bill. As with anything in our lives, we have to operate within our "comfort zone." That zone is defined just as much by our customer base, local economy, national economy, competion, costs, labor force, etc. as it is by our personal expectations and motivation. That is not to say that we shouldn't ever push or stretch out of that zone, but we have to do what we can do - effectively.

The way things are at this point in time, it would be hard for me to see myself, or other operators around me adding after care. In fact, the chain around me that does offer every after care you can think of, and does it well, is feeling the crunch right now. This is where there is ample, quality labor, nasty winters - with plenty of good washing days, and huge name recognition.

It is all about finding your sweet spot as an operator.