What's new

sell tokens thru changer for cash or credit--Good Idea?

scout

Reaction score
We want to sell tokens at the Auto Cashier station by adding on separate changer loaded with tokens only. We would also install credit card swipe to sell 3 $5 tokens for $10 cash or credit.
One person says it would not work at all if you had to exit car to use--even tho it would be a easier install.
other person says we must offer a credit use or it will not work as well--
last--we worry it will undercut our cash sales.
almost last ---- would it improve overall sales and help to create return customers--that would off set any of the previous listed problems.

Unit with credit card/cash is $2000 plus est $800 install---

what is your thoughts on this plan??

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You sell a $5 token? More info is needed and I am confused. What does a customer get for $5 and why are you selling 3 for price of 2? On cc sales you lose a %age of each sale.

Is there a low-buck way you could try this idea, like adding a few rows of tokens bundled in 3 for $10 in a Shurvend w/cc acceptance?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't understand. You say you want to sell them at the Auto-Cashier, but then you mention getting out of the car. I have CC to token machines at three of my washes. A customer can buy discounted tokens with a CC as well as with cash. The machines are near the bill changers and don't get anywhere near the use that I thought they would. Furthermore, the bulk of the purchases are for the lowest quantity where the customer gets no discount. I have CC acceptance on all autos and installed it in the SS bays in my best wash and will probably do the others as finances allow. Looking back, I would forego the CC to token machines and just have in-bay acceptance everywhere.

scout

Reaction score
The way it is now--we sell out of our pockets-tokens each with a $5 value at 3 for $10 all year. we sell 1-2 sets a day on repeat customers and by signage promoting tokens.

The idea to improve would be to mount a coin changer loaded with tokens- to allow a automatic customer to buy out of car window--tokens then put right back into auto cashier to get a discounted wash. we only use tokens for an auto wash. we do have pre paid cards --also promoted by sign and can be used in self serve plus auto wash. Is their a coin changer type vender that dispenses cards? The card has a higher price point at $20 for a card with $25 value. our auto washes are $4 $5 $6. The tokens are preferred by older customers and has the advantage of a lower price for basic package.
Tokens outsell due to longer history of selling tokens with prepaid cards being the new less known option.