What's new

self serve want to add touchless?

torquewrench

Reaction score
I have a 3 bay self serve. I was thinking since things are so slow I wanted to add a touchless. Is it worth the money? Is it worth the extra labor? Do I have enough room to turn one of my bays to touchless? I think the bays might be 25ft. long. Any info would be helpful cause I know nothing about auto washes.
Thanks

MikeV

Reaction score
You can probably add a touchless, I put mine in a 20' bay. It does as much as the other 5 s s bays combined. However, that may or may not be the case for you. If it is slow now, it may still be slow after adding a touchless. Some things to consider...what is your traffic flow/count? What is the competition? Do you have stacking room. Probably your best bet is to get hold of a few distributors and have therm give you an honest assessment of your wash (if you can find one to be totally honest). Where are you located? Good luck.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Be careful, there are a lot of starving people in sales right now. Probably better time than ever to hire a fee-based consultant

I would be very cautious about adding an auto to a low volume three bay. It could make your ROI even worse.

washtubman

Reaction score
Wow, Mike V what kind of automatic do you have in a 20' bay? Many vehicles are almost that long now.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've seen a D&S 5000 in a 20' bay, well, mostly in the bay. Since it's freestanding the only limitation is fitting the width.

MikeV

Reaction score
Wow, Mike V what kind of automatic do you have in a 20' bay? Many vehicles are almost that long now.
I have a Futura Millennium, but it doesn't mater what kind, most will fit. The track is 30'long and extends past the bay walls. I put a canopy over the entry pay station, but don't really need it.

mac

Reaction score
If you have a slow 3 bay, spending at least 100K on an automatic might just kill you. I sell automatics, but try to sleep at night. When adding an automatic you will also most likely need to upgrade your water and electric supplies. Same for softened and RO water. Unless you have the only wash within a 20 mile area, AND many of your customers have asked for it, I would be very careful. If you do have a wash like that, let me know. I would like to buy it. Your time committment with an auto will also go up greatly. You would probably also want to add a camera setup. Even if you got a machine for free, I would guess you could spend 30K to 50K with the other items to make it work.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Great advice! I have found the same thing where I'm at and we happen to be in the same state. Where exactly are you at? I'm in the Flint metro area and would like to do the same thing, but am trying to do it as intelligently as possible.

torquewrench

Reaction score
I am in wellston mi . The nearest car wash to me is Manistee which is 21 miles away. manistee does have 5 car washes!. If I could some how find a nice used machine I think I would like to take the chance. It seems like people are too lazy now a days to want to wash their own car. Any one that installs touchless machines in my area get a hold of me.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
One way you could approach this problem is to use math. By math, I am referring to the theory of constraints (TOC). For example, a physical constraint is something like the physical capacity of a machine and a non-physical constraint might be the demand for carwash services. TOC is normally used to solve bottleneck problems but it can also be used to shift away from conventional accounting methods based on standard or activity-based costing.

Since you have described your 3-bay as being ?slow,? I would expect your goal is to make money now and in the future. If so, you need to make a bridge between net profit and return on investment.

To judge if your decision (e.g. adding an in-bay, tearing down the wash to build something else like a mini-tunnel, maintain the status quo, etc.) will move your business towards its goal, you need to answer several questions; how much money will be generated (throughput); how much money will be captured (investment); and how much money will have to be spent to operate (operating expense)?

These three measures are sufficient to make the bridge between net profit and ROI and the various investment decisions you want to consider. These formulas show this bridge.

Net profit = total throughput ? operating expense
Where, total throughout is the contribution margin (selling price minus cost of materials)

ROI = net profit/total investment

Productivity = throughput/investment

With these measures, you can make decisions by examining the effects of those decisions on your business? overall throughput, investment and operating expense.

A decision that results in increasing throughput, decreasing investment, decreasing operating expense or increasing productivity will generally be a good decision.

These are excerpts from several articles that I wrote on this subject that were published in the carwash trade journals. I have used this approach to help clients make well-informed investment decisions.

Hope it helps.

Etowah