What's new

Self Serve Pricing

chaz

Reaction score
Greetings. Currently my SS is priced at $2.00 for the first four minutes, additional money can be added while the bay is running for added time. My bay's take quarters, dollar coins, singles, fives and tens. We also have CC count up with a $2.00 minimum, times out at $12.00 or when stop is button is pushed.

I am considering changing price structure to $5.00 for the first ten minutes. This will not result in a price per minute change, but will increase my minimum transaction amount. My hope is to chase away the guys that spend $2.00 and leave a mess. It would also likely eliminate the bucket washers as ten minutes would, in most cases, be plenty of time for a full and complete wash.

Thoughts?????

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Two dollars barely covers the transaction frees per credit card swipe, mostly everybody i know in my area is a $5 dollar min. 10mins is plenty of time for them you will be good. Now for bucket washers put up signs because I know this is funny but I have seen customers even bring there own water to my carwash in a bucket. I told them whats the point of even coming. Maybe some of the other guys on here have experienced the same issues with customers.

chaz

Reaction score
Thanks. My average CC sale is $6.00, even though the posted minimum is $2.00. My hope is to increase the cash average of 3.00 to the $5.00. What is your time provided for the $5.00?

Randy

Reaction score
I think $5 to start is a little steep for a Self-Serve bay, I know wouldn’t pay it. About 2 years ago we were at $2 for 4 minutes. We raised the price to $3 for 6 minutes without too much flak from our customers. Why not raise the price to $3 for 6 minutes and give yourself an increase in revenue. Our credit card start up price is $4.00 with a cap at $13.00. At the same time we increased our vac’s to $1.50 for 4 minutes from $1.00 for 3 minutes.

BBE

Reaction score
I think $5 to start is a little steep for a Self-Serve bay, I know wouldn’t pay it. About 2 years ago we were at $2 for 4 minutes. We raised the price to $3 for 6 minutes without too much flak from our customers. Why not raise the price to $3 for 6 minutes and give yourself an increase in revenue. Our credit card start up price is $4.00 with a cap at $13.00. At the same time we increased our vac’s to $1.50 for 4 minutes from $1.00 for 3 minutes.
Randy,

What kind of revenue increase in your self serve bays did you see with the raise from 2 to 3 for start up? 10-15%? Also, did you add any improvements along with the price increase?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“....SS is priced at $2.00....four minutes....take quarters, dollar coins, singles, fives and tens. We also have CC count up......”

“I am considering changing price structure to chase away the guys that spend $2.00 and leave a mess.”

“Thoughts?????”

The last time I rented a car it was returned to the agency full of gasoline but the car was very dirty inside and out.

The contract required fueling up or penalty but it did not require me to return the car clean.

What is it worth to someone to leave a dirty bay to clean up?

If it takes 15 minutes to clean it and you pay $8.00 an hour, charging a $3.00 fee is $1.00 additional profit. Charge $5.00, make $3.00.

Do you have surveillance camera “and” attendant?

Point is how often does dirty bay occur? If it’s a real problem, as in it happens very frequently, the solution could be a new service.

If it happens only occasionally, why penalize the majority of customer base?

The goal and objective of pricing strategy is to maximize profit as in increasing car count or average revenue per sale.

Hope this helps.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I think I would go to $3 an 4 min., and then ease your customers into a higher price. Please let us know what you decide.
I am thinking of doing the same for our dirty hunters. Our price is $2 for 3:15
One note: rental car co's do get ticked at dirty in and out.. They are charging $150 cleaning for pet Hair and smokers now.
Unless it's raining i return the rental car clean-- in and out .

chaz

Reaction score
Done! $3.00 for 4 minutes. So far no comments or complaints...then again it's been raining since I made the change this afternoon, 11/06/13. Updates to follow.

Next up, drop my 6.00 bottom wash on the mark vii GT700, and only offer three options.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to do this sometime; $3/4min. Seems reasonable, especially with CC in the bay etc.

chaz

Reaction score
So far so good. Really too soon to get a real feel for the change. At this point my average activation is up 74cents, and my average CC spend is up about 1.25. Only one customer call at this point. I called him back while he was still at the wash, he has not noticed the change and wanted to let me know the timers did not start at $2. He had no complaints about the change, especially after I told him we have been the same for 5 years. He spent $5. A few other customers mentioned the change when they saw me at the wash, again, no compalints. When I see a regular, I will give them a 12.00 card for future use as thanks. I dad have one woman complain that she put $1 in the wash and nothing happened, ( my wash has never been a $1 start). She said the wash down the road is only $1 to wash, I told her to go there.

Hardest part, was actually deciding to make the change.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
We just went to $3 for 4 mins from $2.50 for 4 mins, same on CC but Washcard customers still pay $2 for 4 mins it's an incentive to get onto our discount program for Autos and SS and customers love it.

chaz

Reaction score
Busy day today, average spend per activation $4.21 . My price is same cash or credit. I do give 25seconds per additional quarter after inital spend, simple math would dictate 20seconds. I have the Hamilton DAN system on bays and auto, I sell and recharge cards at a discount. No regrets on the price change.