What's new

self serve instructon signs

briteauto

Reaction score
Probably like most of you, I have signs that clearly describe each function, its purpose, how to use it etc. I have yet to see signage that clearly describes the proper sequence for washing. I view ss washing as either a friciton type (hp soap, brush, rinse) or a touchfree type (presoak, hp soap, rinse) - tires, wheels, ccp, sfr are all extras.

Watching customers, it is easy to see that many of them are lost, unsure or out of sequence. They don't seem to have the sense of the proper order of things. Some don't understand that when there is snow mud and ice on the car, you should hp soap before presoaking.

Sure - I would like to see everyone use every function but that won't happen. I would be happy if they would understand just how to get a good basic cleaning one of the two ways mentioned above. My equipment, chemicals etc. (as I am sure is the case everyone else) will provide a great wash - I'd like to see people get better results. A dirty car just won't look good with hp soap followed by hp ccp. Sure, it will smell good! I'd rather have no one use the ccp, but at least get the dirt off the car.

I know what I'm asking for, but has anyone been able to educate their customers (most of them) on the proper wash process?

MEP001

Reaction score
I once posted a bunch of "Take One" flyers on the changer that listed recommended steps to get the best result with the least money spent, and they disappeared really fast. I don't know if they were read or if some kids just took them, but now that I have many cameras up I should try it again. I listed a recommended order, how each step should be used for the best results, which ones could be skipped for a lightly dirty car, etc. I also included information about things like the spot-free and how it works - it bugs me when I hear someone spend five minutes running the RO, then switch back to high pressure to "rinse it off."

soapy

Reaction score
When you order signs they usually come with strips and you can assemble in any order you like. I just bought a bunch from custom craft that allowed me to put them in the order that I like. I matched them up to my new coin boxes that have 3 rinse selections so that the customer never has to turn the rotary knob backwards. I think everyone has a different opinion of the best way to wash a car.

bigleo48

Reaction score
People don't read signs...they are there to save our own butts.

I have mine with a top down order. I tell customers to start from the top and skip what they don't want to do (like tire cleaner) and work their way down.

I spend a great deal of time educating them on how to best clean their car. I've had flyers and signs, but not much use. I am considering a flat screen display at the change machine with spooling video of "how to wash you car for best results". Some 7 to 10' picture frame display can do this, however I'm having difficulty finding a proper screen enclosure.

Big Leo

DavidM

Reaction score
There are pictures of Tom Hoffman's menus in the Operator's Wash section. He did a nice job of making the traditional list of options a clearer instructional sign. I believe it is titled something like "10 Steps to a great wash"

I don't remember where but I have seen one that also has two lists, one is a suggestion for a touchfree wash and the other for friction (foaming brush).

briteauto

Reaction score
David,

Thanks - that sounds like what I am looking for.

MEP001,

I also like the idea of the flyers - I'm going to try that.

Thanks again!

Etowah