What's new

Security tv -for customers to see

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Is the idea of putting a tv- that will show the entry on camera a good idea, Kind of like the big box stores do. Tv's are cheap with the switch to digital- (like free) in case it gets stolen, or am I showing my weaknesses to the bad guys. I won't display all , but just one camera to show . I thought if the camera on my changer and shurvend was more visible it would be more of a deterent. What are your thoughts? Good and bad!
john

JustClean

Reaction score
I have 16 cameras including a numberplate camera. They are displayed on my computer and on a TV next to the computer so I can be on the Internet and see what's going on at the same time. Customers can only see them when they are in my office to get some change. Then they look like 32 cameras (2 screens). I often hear "Holy s@#$t - you have got many cameras." I also have big camera housings to make them visible but I don't like the idea of showing them the exact picture of each camera. I hardly have any blind spots but still, I don't want them to check it out.
I also put a policy in place that in case of an accident footage will not be reviewed while the customers looks at it.

captain cw

Reaction score
I'm building a new wash and doing exactly what you are considering. I want the customers to know I am watching.

MEP001

Reaction score
It seems like a good idea. I also wouldn't display all cameras on one screen in case someone wanted to exploit a blind spot (We actually had an employee do just that). Letting people know that they're being watched should make them less likely to vandalize or break into something.

I had considered a small flat-screen computer monitor mounted in a Lexan and stainless steel case over the changer to run car wash infomercials, but a shot from one surveillance camera or even having it PiP sounds like a good idea.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I am concerned that with every day, I hear more people losing their jobs, and for some reason i feel like a target for thieves, even though i have had very few problems. I also considered a digital converter for the free tv and just putting the camera on a PiP. I think car wash security is more important in a down economy My other idea was to display car wash info or ideas that promote my wash, but i think i would need computer monitors to do that. I would like to have someone make a 2 min infomercial touting self serve and the advantages over driveway washing and other positive aspects of Self serve that i could play on the monitor.
John

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the idea is okay, but one potential flaw is if the camera has a temporary problem, it will show on the screen that the camera is down, then you are perhaps more of a target at that particular time.

With the cameras visible and in plain view, along with stickers on doors, cashiers and stuff that say "24 hour video surveillance in use" I think you have accomplished your goal.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO, one potential problem is that if they see the camera screen, then they will come back with a mask on. I'd have just the camera that they are directly in front of on the monitor, then another camera that they can't see, in the event that they can "block" the one that they see, the other will catch them.

MEP001

Reaction score
Whale of a Wash said:
My other idea was to display car wash info or ideas that promote my wash, but i think i would need computer monitors to do that.
You don't at all, you just need a computer with S-video or RCA TV out. You can get a video card for $20 that has an S-video output, and they usually come with an RCA adaptor.

JustClean

Reaction score
You don't at all, you just need a computer with S-video or RCA TV out. You can get a video card for $20 that has an S-video output, and they usually come with an RCA adaptor.
Usually the better computer surveillance cards come with a TV out.
I made the mistake buying two monitors instead of one monitor and one TV. So I had to sell the second monitor and got a TV instead. If you just duplicate your main screen to the other monitor then whatever you do on the main screen (Internet, emails, etc.) will be displayed on the other screen as well. So its better using the surveillance TV out.