What's new

Security Camera's

DavidMD5

Reaction score
What is the best camera's for reading license plates, I have several camera's, some cheap some expensive, still not able to read license plates. My carwash has one entrance and exit way, if anyone enters they will be on camera. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

MEP001

Reaction score
I installed a Sony camera directly above a wall-pack light which helps a lot with reading plates at night. The DVR to which it's connected isn't great, but I can read 2 out of 3 plate numbers. The trick seems to be to mount it far away from the entrance and zoom it in, that way the vehicles are in frame longer.

The camera that got this image:

is 100 feet from the car. The gas pump in the distance is at 200 feet.

Dubois Laundry/Carwash

2 bay SS (and laundromat)
Reaction score
I installed a Sony camera directly above a wall-pack light which helps a lot with reading plates at night.
Sony only makes dozens of models of cameras with a variety of sizes of CCD's with various lines of resolution and equipped with several iris and focal length lenses

MEP001

Reaction score
Dubois Laundry/Carwash said:
Sony only makes dozens of models of cameras with a variety of sizes of CCD's with various lines of resolution and equipped with several iris and focal length lenses
My point wasn't that I used a Sony camera, it was that I mounted it near a light source to benefit from the reflective properties of the license plates. I don't know which is "the best" camera, I only offered advice on how to make it work.

Louise

Reaction score
I use a high end (cannot remember what kind) color camera. I set it to black and white. At night it looks like an x-ray. Everything dark is light and everything light is dark. We get about 80% of partial to total tags.

Etowah