What's new

Screwy Weep Temp reading?!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I moved my Dixmore weep mizer yesterday to a better location on my SS pump stand.

I cleaned the solenoid and all seemed fine with its operation.

This morning the temp readout on the display said 85F and climbed in 30 sec to 112F. It was 40F out. Then the temp gauge display returned to normal and stayed there.

What is up, you think?

TIA.
Wax

Randy

Reaction score
I hope you moved it as far away from anything that can spray water on it. I don't know how many Weep Mizers I've fixed that have gotten water soaked. They don't like to get wet. The screwy temperature reading is usually from a faulty temperature sensor or one that’s going bad.

Hey what does "Est 1969" mean?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
IB's right. I was established in 1969.

Thanks Randy. I'll replace the temp sensor.

Ceverett

Fixer Of Things
Reaction score
I'd also recomend adding another thermostat to a different location so that it will always read the lowest temp in case one craps out on you.

Randy

Reaction score
I remember 1969 like it was yesterday. That was the year I won a 13 month all expense paid vacation to a far away exotic land for fun in the Sun, Beaches, Hiking, Camping and other fun outdoor activities. I still dream about the fun I had on that vacation.

Waxman, if it's not broke, don't try to fix it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the temp. sensor is bad. Stays on -22F then goes up to 83, 112F.

KR has one for $40 w/cable included.

My local plumbing place has one for Buderus, 2-wire, 24v (like the weepmizer one) for $33.

Can I use the one from the plumbing place?

Also, while I'm at it, should I locate the temp. sensor inside the bay? My thought is saving some weep; I close my SS bay doors when it gets real cold and them floor heat keeps it fairly warm, so I would weep less.

Thanks!

pitzerwm

Reaction score
You might want two sensors, one inside and one outside to see how close they are. You screw up and you have a frozen place.

Eric H

Reaction score
while I'm at it, should I locate the temp. sensor inside the bay? My thought is saving some weep; I close my SS bay doors when it gets real cold and them floor heat keeps it fairly warm, so I would weep less.QUOTE]

If one of your customers leaves one of your other bay doors open that bay will have a lower temp than the one with the sensor and will freeze. If you use 2 sensors for the SS bays that would help but would leave your auto bay unprotected in the event that the SS doors were down and an IBA door stayed in the up position for some reason (customer hit it, froze in the up position, etc.)

MEP001

Reaction score
You should definitely have two sensors. The WeepMizer will always use the lowest reading. If one fails you'll still be protected.

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s really necessary to have two temperature sensors on the Weepmizer. I installed my Weepmizer in 1990 and it’s never been serviced, it has the original temperature sensor. I think the key to the long longevity is I keep it power up year around. The ASCO 8210G34 solenoid valve that is controlled by the Weepmizer has also never given me any problems.

Dave if you need another Temperature sensor I'vre got one that I've had as a spare for a long time. I don't think I'll need it.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's funny how you said earlier that a screwy reading is usually from a faulty sensor, and yet you now say there's no need to have two because they never go bad.

I've learned long ago never to listen to the "I've never had a problem with _____, so there's no reason why you should either" type of advice. Use redundancy; keep a spare; replace it if it looks iffy. It ain't rocket science.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No need to criticize others trying to help, I asked and I appreciate all the help.

No, it ain't rocket science. But this forum is precisely for asking about our issues, and getting/giving help. IMO, a weep mizer question was relevant to at least half of the users of ACF!

Here's what also isn't rocket science: interest rates, cc processing, what vending to stock, keeping stuff from freezing, repairing carwash equipment. HOWEVER, they are all bantered about here, so spare us the obvious statements about the science of rockets and their comparison to carwashes.

Kevin James

Reaction score
We have 4 Dixmore Weepmizers at our washes, God only knows how long they’ve been installed. We only have 1 temperature probe per unit. I can't really see why we’d need to have 2 per unit. We do have spare Temperature probe in the spare parts bin.

Whenever I see someone belittle someone on the Forum I just consider the source.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with ours and it was a splice in the sensor wire that had come loose. Actually 1 of the wire nuts was upside down and water had collected in it and caused a bad connection.