What's new

scheduling software

dewey9876

I CLN CAZ
Reaction score
What does everyone use for scheduling customers? We currently use the calander on microsoft outlook. It works ok but I wish it had more features. It is really nothing more than an electronic version of an appointment book. Not looking to spend a lot of money and it isn't that important just thought there may be something better out there.

thanks

bigleo48

Reaction score
Google calendar.

Its electronic, its online (can be seen with smart phone), can be shared, multiple calendars, lots of functionality, no need to back up, etc

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use a paper model I get at the dollar store.

I take appointments through my website, too, but the paper model works well. I like that my employees can get to the appointment book quickly and easily, and sometimes we take it outside to a customers car if they are elderly, etc or ovre at the carwash in line.

FWIW, I was with a friend today who owns 17 retail tire stores. He stores all hsi phone numbers in a little brown book and has a junky verizon cell phone, same as mine. Maybe of no significance, but hey if it ain't broke...

bigleo48

Reaction score
I use a paper model I get at the dollar store.

I take appointments through my website, too, but the paper model works well. I like that my employees can get to the appointment book quickly and easily, and sometimes we take it outside to a customers car if they are elderly, etc or ovre at the carwash in line.

FWIW, I was with a friend today who owns 17 retail tire stores. He stores all hsi phone numbers in a little brown book and has a junky verizon cell phone, same as mine. Maybe of no significance, but hey if it ain't broke...
Had a friend who did this also. So I took her book away and said "now what?"

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had a friend who did this also. So I took her book away and said "now what?"
Personal computers have been popular since the 1980's. How long has the Rolodex been around?

My computer has been slow before (whose hasn't). Customers do not want to wait around for you to get your google calendar open if your computer is glitching out.

The times someone has stolen or misplaced my schedule book? Zero. The times my computer has glitched out? Many.

The computer schedule may be better for many reasons, but for me it is not as practical for booking details.

I do not want my employees on the computer; I want them writing an appointment in the book then getting back to detailing. Farting around online is MY job.:D

bigleo48

Reaction score
Personal computers have been popular since the 1980's. How long has the Rolodex been around?
Detail many horse and buggies lately? What has change the world in the last decade or so, is not the PC...but databases and ubiquitous access to them.

Databases have ability to be shared and viewed by multiple people. An electronic format (that can be turned into paper) that is held in a secure and backed up site (like google) is IMHO the best way to safeguard and manage data (and its free). This provides redundancy, diversity and multiple access with controls.

You cannot tie your rolodex to other platforms. In a database format, you could tie the info with other info, like pictures (cars, customers), license plates, past problems or specific needs, their usual order, emailing special, etc, etc.

The real issue is human nature and the slow adoption of technology, even if the technology is no longer leading edge and has developed into a mature stable platform. People still do it the same old way and I believe this lies with inherent difficulty and pain some people have in learning something new or a better way of doing things. Waxman, you always seem to be looking at better and more efficient ways of doing things...procedures in administration is just another way.

The PC hardware issues you have or had I don't see as relevant. With multiple platforms (PC, Tablet, Smart Phone) and diverse internet access (DSL, Cell service, etc) you should never be "down" unless you have a catastrophic issue (earthquake, Hurricane, etc). Your PC is just another tool...if its not working correctly, you are ignoring a problem.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Check out Genbook.com. Cost is reasonable and we get appts. at all hours of the day and especially night when the shop is closed. Chose the credit card capture mode and you won't have a problem with no shows.
MC

Etowah