What's new

Schedule 80 pipe and brass fittings

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Hey guys making foamers for my remodel and copying what I have at my other wash. I believe these came from Coleman.

Question....was going to use schedule 80 pipe with brass fittings. Do you guys think I can rely on the fittings to "self tap" into the ID of the pipe?

The "experts" at Home Depot are giving me conflicting answers.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
It won't work. The brass fitting won't cut threads, it will just make grooves that will never seal and will more than likely split the pipe. You can get a pipe tap and die set from Harbor Freight that's cheaper than a single 1/2" tap just about anywhere else. FWIW, I make foam generators out of 1-1/2" PVC with three scrubbers in it, and I drill and tap three holes for 1/4" pipe fittings. It comes out cheaper than using the small piece of schedule 80 and a tee and bushing.

If the "experts" at Home Depot knew anything, they wouldn't be working at Home Depot.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking bc of the brass vs. Schedule 80.

I searched the forum and saw where you posted that about your foamers. So you use standard schedule 40 pvc?

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, it's rated to something like 400 PSI so it should be strong enough for foam brush and trifoam.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
My Lowe's sells schedule 80 PVC up to 1" As MEP said its very easy to thread with a cheap tap.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I build cheap, reliable, and durable foamers using parts like this...
1 coupler
2 spigot x female bushings
1 strainer (to keep the scrubber pad from migrating)
and 1/2 of a scrubber pad.
Just add your choice of inlet and outlet fitting to fulfill your needs.

MEP001

Reaction score
Seems odd that a stainless steel strainer has a "corrosion/rust resistance chrome" plating.

What I use instead is a disk cut out of a pail with a hole saw, I enlarge the hole in the center to 3/4", I cut a 1/2" long piece of pipe, and when I glue the chamber together I glue in the 1/2" long piece into the cap, push in the disk and then the rest of the length of pipe.