What's new

Salt Pails / Holders

washregal

Reaction score
Just a question - You guys might think I am odd for asking but.. here it goes:

My Wash's are in the North East - Getting ready for WINTER - My equipment rooms are very small .. Unfortunatly.

I was think about putting my salt for the parking lot that we manually spread - in a trash can outside or some sort of storage bin...

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any issues with the salt freezing up?

MEP001

Reaction score
The salt shouldn't freeze up as long as it's dry.

How will you be able to secure it to keep people from tampering with it?

Could you transfer it to 5-gallon soap pails and stack them? You could put a lot of salt in one corner that way.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I use CaCl, not salt - less corrosive to concrete, works faster and to lower temps, and: it takes up less space. As MEP says, I store it in 5 gallon buckets (lid on because it is hydrophilic). I always have one 5 gallon bucket of it at the wash, if I'm expecting ice I keep 2-3 buckets handy.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I use CaCl, not salt - less corrosive to concrete, works faster and to lower temps, and: it takes up less space. As MEP says, I store it in 5 gallon buckets (lid on because it is hydrophilic). I always have one 5 gallon bucket of it at the wash, if I'm expecting ice I keep 2-3 buckets handy.
With our Pet Wash opening soon, I am concerned about using any product that a dog might lick & be affected by it. Any thoughts?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Excellent question.
Nope, I dont know - so I googled.
"CaCl vs salt"
"calcium chloride msds"
"calcium chloride pets"

tons of links & info (too many to list), but Ossian.com's page on pets final summary is:
"Most ice melters sold by us or even our competitors, except for calcium or magnesium chlorides, if used according to their label instructions will not harm pets with normal contact. You must however, always be aware of your pets, their health and their behavior. The safest thing you can do is avoid the use of ice melting chemicals altogether. If you must use a chemical be aware of your pet at all times and immediately remove the slush and dissolved product after it has done its work. Taking a moment to wipe off your pet?s paws will also be a big help. Your pet will thank you."

I think the short answer is that if you have a pet wash, dont "spread it and forget it" - clean up whatever you use.