What's new

Rusty Tokens…

sjb

Reaction score
Hi… we made the conversion to only dispensing our $1 tokens at the wash a year ago and have been pleased with the change…

However, we have a percentage that have gotten rusty and ugly looking and I don’t want to put them back in circulation until I clean them…

They are CT-123 from Van Buren, bi-metal nickel plated steel.

Any suggestions on the best cleaning methods and solutions for these tokens…? does the tumbler that Kleen-rite sells work well…?

thanks much!
sjb

MEP001

Reaction score
Someone on here said they clean their brass tokens with a Harbor Freight vibrating parts cleaner. I don't know how well that will work on rusty steel tokens.

Reactions: sjb

sjb

Reaction score

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
Your customers will appreciate your efforts for making your tokens bright & shiny again! I use $1 tokens from Van Brooks (CT-121). We've been using them since 2015 and have purchased over 145,000. I have researched and used a lot of cleaning products & think I have found the best combination. I'm happy to share! Avoid vinegar as this will cause micro-pitting that will attract more dirt. While the tokens may look like they're rusting, they are rust-resistant, but will tarnish. The exact metal properties is proprietary, but Van Brooks told me they're made of a "nickel-silver combination".
  • For light cleaning and polishing, put the tokens in a tumbler, with Flitz Polish (Polish works BETTER than Flitz Tumbler/Media Additive), with 2/3 cup of corn media and 1/3 cup course walnut media. Tumble for 2 - 2.5 hours.
  • For heavier soaking and cleaning, soak tokens in SafeClean Nickel Coin Cleaner (liquid, ready-to-use). Use a small glass or plastic container and soak for 1-2 days.
  • Then, use Bar Keepers Friend (powder) and a stiff tooth brush and hand-scrub the dirtiest tokens. Rinse and dry.
  • Then, put them in a tumbler, with Flitz Polish and corn/walnut media.
  • The tokens come out with a BRILLIANT SHINE – LIKE NEW AGAIN!!
PURCHASING INFORMATION:

BAR KEEPERS FRIEND (POWDER)

Purchase from any home improvement store (ie. Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe’s

CORN MEDIA (Mix with 1/3 Walnut Media)
Purchase from FrankfordArsenal.com

FLITZ POLISH
Purchase from Amazon.com

NICKEL COIN CLEANER
Purchase from Wonder Oil Products
264 Ridge Crest Drive
Seguin, TX 78155
1-707-252-7555
Toll Free 1-866-695-8994
www.wonderoil.com

TUMBLER
Cabela’s Model 400 Vibratory Case Tumbler Kit
www.cabelas.com
1-800-237-4444

WALNUT MEDIA (COURSE GRAIN)
Purchase from local Harbor Freight store

Attachments

sjb

Reaction score
Your customers will appreciate your efforts for making your tokens bright & shiny again! I use $1 tokens from Van Brooks (CT-121). We've been using them since 2015 and have purchased over 145,000. I have researched and used a lot of cleaning products & think I have found the best combination. I'm happy to share! Avoid vinegar as this will cause micro-pitting that will attract more dirt. While the tokens may look like they're rusting, they are rust-resistant, but will tarnish. The exact metal properties is proprietary, but Van Brooks told me they're made of a "nickel-silver combination".
  • For light cleaning and polishing, put the tokens in a tumbler, with Flitz Polish (Polish works BETTER than Flitz Tumbler/Media Additive), with 2/3 cup of corn media and 1/3 cup course walnut media. Tumble for 2 - 2.5 hours.
  • For heavier soaking and cleaning, soak tokens in SafeClean Nickel Coin Cleaner (liquid, ready-to-use). Use a small glass or plastic container and soak for 1-2 days.
  • Then, use Bar Keepers Friend (powder) and a stiff tooth brush and hand-scrub the dirtiest tokens. Rinse and dry.
  • Then, put them in a tumbler, with Flitz Polish and corn/walnut media.
  • The tokens come out with a BRILLIANT SHINE – LIKE NEW AGAIN!!
PURCHASING INFORMATION:

BAR KEEPERS FRIEND (POWDER)

Purchase from any home improvement store (ie. Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe’s

CORN MEDIA (Mix with 1/3 Walnut Media)
Purchase from FrankfordArsenal.com

FLITZ POLISH
Purchase from Amazon.com

NICKEL COIN CLEANER
Purchase from Wonder Oil Products
264 Ridge Crest Drive
Seguin, TX 78155
1-707-252-7555
Toll Free 1-866-695-8994
www.wonderoil.com

TUMBLER
Cabela’s Model 400 Vibratory Case Tumbler Kit
www.cabelas.com
1-800-237-4444

WALNUT MEDIA (COURSE GRAIN)
Purchase from local Harbor Freight store

Much thanks for sharing this info!

Roz

Reaction score
Are you using the nickel plated steel tokens… plus a cleaning solution…?

thanks!
Nickel plated tokens, no cleaning solution as the tumbler uses a fine stone that comes with the system and is reused over and over. Cleans 90% to be like new but some 10% (the worst) only get modestly cleaner. Frankly not certain the customer cares if they are shiny, probably more for my benefit and sensibility.

sjb

Reaction score
fyi…. I bought the Klopp token cleaner and here is a picture of the results after running the machine for 12 + hours…

there were a couple dozen tokens still dirty and I thru them back for another run….

hope this helps!

Attachments

Keno

Reaction score
Nice results, that klopp cleaner seems like a normal vibratory cleaner to me with a much higher price tag?

Reactions: sjb