What's new

Rotary Switches

Dirtychuck

Reaction score
How long typically does a rotary switch on a bay coin meter last? I have one that is getting very hard to turn and is only about 1.5 yrs old.

Can you spray anything inside the switch (like PB Blaster) to free it up again?

Eric H

Reaction score
I've had some that have lasted a loooooong time, but I don't keep track of when I change them so I don't know how old they really are. 1 1/2 years seems pretty short to me, but if a customer hits it it might damage it a little and cause it to fail sooner.

I wouldn't bother spraying it to try and save it. Once they start to wear out they need to be replaced. They are cheap enough.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Dirtychuck, I used to have this problem quite frequently. I am not sure what stopped it unless the meter face was sealed better. I used to open the faceplate up, face it down and spray a small amount of WD-40, Tri-flow etc. on the switch shaft. Then flip it over and do the same thing from the outside of the switch. Keep turning it until it frees up. If not, replace it. They make plastic rotary switches, I think.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I've taken them apart and cleaned them with WD-40. Usually it's just gunked up with rust, etc.
But I've got to tell you it's not worth it unless you need it that day and you don't have a backup.
It takes some time and I more often than not have the darn thing slip out of my hand and fall apart.

Dirtychuck

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys... I thought that 1 1/2 years was a short time for one of these to last, but then again that is typical for my luck.

PB Blaster was able to free up switch and buy me some time to order a replacement as I don't have one in my spare parts inventory.

MEP001

Reaction score
I much prefer the Electroswitch brand - they last quite a few years, longer if you use a boot to keep water out of the shaft. I tried the Shelco, which lasted about a year before it wore and got so loose that it pointed one function off from where you really had it set. The plastic ones are too wimpy for me.

Wally

Reaction score
If you are cleaning your walls with New Wall, make sure you don`t get it on the meter and into the shaft of switch.

mac

Reaction score
You can extend their life many times by simply squirting WD 40 INSIDE the switch. Remove a screw on each bank if there isn't an open spot, and use that little red hose that comes with a new can of spray, and flood them. About every 3 to 4 months does fine.