What's new

Road trips

mac

Reaction score
Just got back from a nice road trip. Had not driven one in a long time. I don't count the 600,000 miles I drove around FL as a real road trip. Went from way south FL to Myrtle Beach and have some general observations.
First is that this is one great country we live in. Pay no attention to the a$$holes who claim we are all racists and what evil we do. The real people are still nice and friendly. And the economy, despite the will of some to shut it down, must be doing great. The vast majority of over the road trucks had hiring drivers signs. And I have much more respect for those drivers now. It was easy to drive 10 or 11 hours many years ago. Not so much now. And those drivers do it every day. When they signal to move into the lane I'm in, I slow down, flash the lights, and let them in.
The hugely complex economy is truly amazing to watch. Most everyone arrives when they are supposed to and does their job. Things get done that we don't often notice. This is dur to the relative freedom that we business people have.
And the best part of the trip, other than just relaxing and paying no attention to the talking heads in the media, is that my wash had a record week while we were gone. No major issues and only a couple of minor ones. All of that work to get a ran down wash back in great shape is paying off. Even got two 5 star reviews while away. Still have a to do list for more improvements and am planning on more getaways. Giving out candy this weekend as part of our business community, and shots of Apple Crown to the adults. If you're in the area drop by.

MattUA

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time. As a Canadian looking to move down south (leaning Florida/Arizona), it's pathetic to see how many Canadians have TDS. Not surprised though since one of our medias are owned by the government and all major medias got bailouts. Since you seem to know Florida well how is Brevard County? Appreciate any insight, thanks

mac

Reaction score
There are simply lots of great places to live here. It depends on what you like doing as to where is best for you. Brevard is a nice area. Melbourne is a nice city and you can see the rockets launch from there. Generally the east coast is more crowded and developed than the west coast, although that won't last forever. Suggest you come down and just drive around. We are getting into our busy season as the winter residents start arriving. Our population easily grows by 50% or more. Boating is great on both coasts although different. On the east coast you can go out 1/2 mile and be in 500' of water. On the west coast you can go out 80 miles and only be in 100 '. Makes a difference fishing. I'm in Cape Coral by the wonderful village of Matlacha. Really neat little island community. If you get in the area send me a note.

MattUA

Reaction score
Just searched Matlacha and man that looks like a neat village. I looked at Cape Coral but Hurricanes sort of spook me out as I don't really know protocols surrounding Hurricanes. Sure thing I will see when I go to Florida (was thinking spring time/after the winter residents return back)

cooll903

Reaction score
I lived in Florida. It sucks, that is why i moved. Go to a place that is dryer and people are not as in your face trying to get something from you ALL THE TIME. no one is really helpful, just looking for a payday.

traveler17

Reaction score
I lived in Florida. It sucks, that is why i moved. Go to a place that is dryer and people are not as in your face trying to get something from you ALL THE TIME. no one is really helpful, just looking for a payday.
Born and raised in central Florida and it was great growing up there. It only started to suck when all the Yankees/Snowbirds moved down. Not a fan of state taxes but I love NC

mac

Reaction score
Just searched Matlacha and man that looks like a neat village. I looked at Cape Coral but Hurricanes sort of spook me out as I don't really know protocols surrounding Hurricanes. Sure thing I will see when I go to Florida (was thinking spring time/after the winter residents return back)
This part of FL is one of the safest part of the state for hurricanes. They either hit the east coast and weaken a lot crossing the state. If they go south and hook back they usually hit from Tampa north. Coll it’s a shame you had a bad experience here. My guess is that you were on the east coast where that’s common. The Carolinas are nice. Cool and not so humid.

cooll903

Reaction score
i lived in tampa. i just hated a lot about it. plus im not a 100 degree with 100% humidity person. i like cold.