What's new

Residential water heater tanks

washnshine

Reaction score
Going to replace my tank at home in the next month or so. 40 gallon power vent. Any of you guys like one brand over another? I had a Bradford White - worked fine. Lots of plumbers seem to recommend Rheem now. I know some of that is based on what they get bulk pricing for. Just was wondering if you had any recent experience or opinions.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
My 40 gal Bradford White PowerVent was going on 18 years and no issues. Just pulled it and replaced it with a new one when I updated my furnace last year. My vendor was also pushing Rheem, because of his discounts, but he was marking it up more than he did the Bradford White.

OurTown

Reaction score
I have tried several different places to get prices on Bradford White and they have all told me that they only sell them to licensed plumbers. Just like furnaces and car batteries there are only a few manufacturers but many brand names put on those. The last few I bought Alliance (made by AO Smith) because I can get them for less at the local hardware store. They all make different quality levels and price points. I have always bought the cheap ones for our rentals and houses we were planning on selling. In our own home I installed an electric GE (made by Rheem) almost 15 years ago and it is still going. I'll probably put in a tankless propane model when it starts leaking.

Eric H

Reaction score
2 years ago I switched from a gas WH to a heat pump model. I was hesitant about switching to electric but had to because of limited options
associated with a basement remodel. My gas bill went down and there was no measurable increase in the electric bill.
Both models were/are Bradford-White.

washnshine

Reaction score
Update - put in a new Bradford White power vent today. I was happy with 10 years of trouble free performance. I know some people get more, but I can justify a replacement after 10 years - it gets lots of use. Thanks for all the input!