What's new

replacing slugbuster with IDX X-10

RockyMountain

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade coin acceptors and am replacing the Slugbuster IIs with X-10 Xeptors (so I can accept dollar coins). They are going to GinSan 401 and Ginsan 255 timers (depending on the bay). I have had no luck making the switch work. It appears that the yellow wires are hot on both Slugbuster and X-10. There is a red/green and black wired together, which would replace the slugbuster black wire.? And I replaced the light blue with the other red/green. No luck. It is very hard to tell which wire goes to the 1,2,3 and 4 on the ginsan timers. Any suggestions?

MEP001

Reaction score
You will combine one red/green wire with the black, and the other red/green will replace the Slugbuster's blue one.

Randy

Reaction score
It?s simple. On your GS-255 or GS-401 timers terminal #1 is 24VAC Hot connect the Yellow wire from the X-10 to this terminal. Terminal #3 is 24VAC Common, connect the Black and 1 of the Red/Green wires from the X-10 to this Terminal. Terminal #4 is Coin Input connect the other Red/Green wire to this terminal and you should be in business.

RockyMountain

Reaction score
Tried that

Thanks for the replies. I have tried exactly that. The in bay timer works, but the ginsan will not start the bay. When I first hooked it up, the bay came on and wouldn't shut off. Could I have damaged the Ginsan 255 and that is why it won't work now?

Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Randy

Reaction score
You could have damaged the GS-255 timer. Does it work when you put the Slugbuster II back in? Does the GS-401 timer work the way it?s supposed to? Or are you having issues with that one also? What equipment are you using the GS-255 timer in?

RockyMountain

Reaction score
got it...I think

It appears that I have a bad X-10. When I swapped it out with a different one, everything worked! Thanks for the replies!

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
It?s simple. On your GS-255 or GS-401 timers terminal #1 is 24VAC Hot connect the Yellow wire from the X-10 to this terminal. Terminal #3 is 24VAC Common, connect the Black and 1 of the Red/Green wires from the X-10 to this Terminal. Terminal #4 is Coin Input connect the other Red/Green wire to this terminal and you should be in business.
One correction to this: The 2 red/green wires need to be wired across 1 and 4 of our timers. Wiring across 1 and 3 will switch AC into the coin input and cause the bay to run on. Basically what you would be doing is putting 60 pulses a second(60hz) into the coin input. Even if the coin pulse is only 100ms you would still be putting in six pulses for every pulse that you think you are putting in.

RockyMountain

Reaction score
GinSan timer counting up

Dan, as soon as I hooked up the IDX, the bay would start and the 255 would count up by 1 coin every 30 seconds. I am 99% sure it was hooked up right, and the same bay worked just fine when I switched the IDX. To me that says the problem is with that particular IDX. Does that make sense, or could it be something else?

MEP001

Reaction score
If it's working now, you have it hooked up right. I apologize for my other post; I didn't read your first one completely and I ended up just repeating your description of how you had already done it.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Dan, as soon as I hooked up the IDX, the bay would start and the 255 would count up by 1 coin every 30 seconds. I am 99% sure it was hooked up right, and the same bay worked just fine when I switched the IDX. To me that says the problem is with that particular IDX. Does that make sense, or could it be something else?

If it's working it's hooked up right. Simple rule I use on the phone with customers.......

"If it's working, get in your truck and leave before you break it."

RockyMountain

Reaction score
other bays

If it's working it's hooked up right. Simple rule I use on the phone with customers.......

"If it's working, get in your truck and leave before you break it."

How true that is! The problem is that I am upgrading all 5 bays and need to use that IDX in another bay. I guess I'll try it and see if it will work. If not, I will know that it is a bad X-10.

Thanks again!