What's new

Replacing scrubbers with spinners on Softgloss

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I removed my wheel scrubbers and have been unhappy with the cleaning we are doing since. I'm going to add a cta as they drive in and then put spinners where the scrubbers used to be. I'll use the scrubber inputs to trigger the spinner. I think that I am going to have to trick the prox to do this since it will be looking for the scrubber to extend and then come back. Is there a better way to do it? I was thinking of a timer on the prox.
Thanks

briteauto

Reaction score
I removed my wheel scrubbers and have been unhappy with the cleaning we are doing since. I'm going to add a cta as they drive in and then put spinners where the scrubbers used to be. I'll use the scrubber inputs to trigger the spinner. I think that I am going to have to trick the prox to do this since it will be looking for the scrubber to extend and then come back. Is there a better way to do it? I was thinking of a timer on the prox.
Thanks
Can you just set the spinners to operate for one full pass - that way you can have some assisted cleaning on the entire rocker panels and wheels, and don't have to worry about triggering and stopping in two locations. Maybe they could be active during the prewash or trifoam application if that is how your first pass starts out in your packages. I'd get the hp on them before the friction starts.

Let us know how it works out.

Mike

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have a set that sprays as they drive in but that is inadequate for wheels so I am adding a second set along with a cta.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
The program does not care if the wheel scrub extends, it just has to see the prox again before it will drive (the wash should NEVER drive with the prox off since this would indicate the wheelscrub was extended). You might get a "no transition" code but it will not shut down the wash.

Cshanehill

Reaction score
I'm not sure what program you have in the machine but the newer machine have spinners on them as an option and when properly programmed they will pause at the wheel and blast the wheel or you can combine it as a complete down the side and pause at the wheels. Shloud not be too hard to figure out. This will also allow the wheel scrub saftey proxes to be removed as well

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Jim's machine is too old to install the new program.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
We are pulling all of the hose and stuff today and doing the prep work. We will do the final install next time it rains. I feel pretty good about it.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Sounds cool! You should post a video when you are done.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
My only concern is the low pressure from my prewash pump. I should have pretty good dwell time though for the chemical. Would you use the 0 degree nozzles from the prewash or maybe something with a little more spread?
Thanks

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I forgot where the pump came from, wash it for entrance end side blasters?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I'm just using the side blaster pump. I may have to jack it up some day but maybe not. I'll try my hand at touch free cleaning!

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I would stick withe the same size and number of nozzles that the side blaster had. Hopefully you will have enough pressure to get it spinning the way it should. The side blaster pump is high volume/low pressure and most, if not all spinners, run off high pressure.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
It will spin it just fine. Not a lot of pressure but it's not designed for pressure.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
We installed the cta and wheel basters this week. This is definately a work in progress. I now have side blasters as they enter, then the cta. The problem right now seems to be that those 2 features are too close together so there is too much water still on the wheels when we spray the chemical. The problem is the limited number of inputs on the softgloss. We are using the "tire spray" to arm the side blasters. We had to piggyback the cta to the undercar spray. In order to do that I'm having to have the cta closer to the front that I'd like. Another issue is that when the cta sprays it makes that angle iron "hump" that protects the undercar very slick so cars spin on it. Once we get the fine tuning done I think this is going to work nicely. I'm open to suggestions about the input situation though.
If it doesn't ever quit raining none of it is going to matter anyway! Isn't there a tax that obama can pass to make it not rain so much?

Etowah

briteauto

Reaction score
I now have side blasters as they enter, then the cta. The problem right now seems to be that those 2 features are too close together so there is too much water still on the wheels when we spray the chemical.
I'm not criticizing your set up at all - I commend your ingenuity. Just wondering why you do not put your chemical on first - on the dry tire/wheel - like in this video. It seems as though you would not have the problem with the tire being too wet and the chemical being diluted when it goes on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDyuPucU4Mk

Looking forward to seeing what you've got when it is all finished.

Good luck.

Mike

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
There is a tradeoff. By applying chemical after the side blasters I am getting about 3x the dwell time on the chemical. I have also eliminated one pass of the machine since the first pass used to be the fresh water rinse.
Still haven't perfected the application process but we are making progress. Next week I am going to the beach to drink margaritas and contemplate the best way to get that wheel foam on. It's going to do a great job I think.
The trifoam in that video is outstanding. I wonder what the cost per car is to get it that vivid.

briteauto

Reaction score
There is a tradeoff. By applying chemical after the side blasters I am getting about 3x the dwell time on the chemical. I have also eliminated one pass of the machine since the first pass used to be the fresh water rinse.
Still haven't perfected the application process but we are making progress. Next week I am going to the beach to drink margaritas and contemplate the best way to get that wheel foam on. It's going to do a great job I think.
The trifoam in that video is outstanding. I wonder what the cost per car is to get it that vivid.
I understand - that makes sense. The dwell in that video is pretty short.

Enjoy your margaritas!

Mike