What's new

Renting out - employing or business opportunity?

Etowah

JustClean

Reaction score
Hi all
Our carwash isn't really busy. We have 4 SS bay and a brush automatic. I have another bay that is all setup for a touchless. I only need to buy one. However, our area doesn't support another automatic at the moment. I use this bay as storage but I would like to utilize it better and get some return with detailing maybe. I don't want to do it myself as I have other commitments but I thought I either could rent it out, employ someone or do it as "business opportunity" by letting someone use my equipment, waiting area, CC facility, etc. I actually favor this "business opportunity" idea as I don't have to outlay any money and get the detailing running without hassle. I am struggling a bit with the contract side of it. What do you guys think about this? I appreciate any input. Thanks.

MEP001

Reaction score
Have you considered a low-cost venture to run yourself? Having an employee on-site all day will greatly improve the wash business. All you need is something for him to do; detailing, inspections, window tint, and even if it isn't a lot of work and barely pays his salary it'll make the wash customers more comfortable knowing there's someone to help with a problem or make change or whatever. You'll want that employee to take care of the wash too.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there really anything you can put in an empty bay and not run yourself? I think your scope is too narrow. If you don't want the hassle of detailing yourself or at least owning the detail shop, how are you going to handle being a landlord of a detail shop on your property?

Why not just have an attendant who does express detail? Buy one of the video programs available and learn a bit about the trade and go for it.

The revenue stream is worth it.

JustClean

Reaction score
At the moment I am at the wash and help customers. But I found that I am not the right person to detail cars. I am a @#$% pedantic! I don't know when to stop cleaning the car. Don't lough :eek:) I tried detailing. First thing is I am not experienced - okay, I could learn this. But what is worse I get a dirty car and I just keep on cleaning until this thing is brand new. I just can't @#$% STOP which means in the end I work for nothing. So I have given up on that idea. I need to get a professional in - not me :eek:)
It is a shame to let this bay sit there for nothing. I don't want a dog wash as there are already too many around here. A touchless would be an overkill in our area. Hmm....Are there any drawbacks with outsourcing detailing that cannot be overcome with a decent contract?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drawbacks I could see:

1. abuse of your property.
2. riff raff increase
3. theft of stuff
4. using the place for other than specified
5. liability
6. negative reflection on your carwash if the guy has any problem whatsoever with any customer.
7. a poor fit with how you run your carwash
8. problems that may arise from the detailer's poor money management skills.
9. " " " " " " " " professionalism.

washboy

work in progress
Reaction score
I think if you are the attendant at the wash you should like was said, offer an express detail for your customer. Make a checklist of what that entails and do it. What will you offer your prospect as a new buss. a place to detail till you get the money to make your improvements on your property. You can never detail enough there is always more but if the customer wants just a spiff-up give it. Make a check sheet for yourself. I was never happy with a detail myself and saw a guy in europe that gets 10k per and is booked solid. What is a detail?

JustClean

Reaction score
Drawbacks I could see:

1. abuse of your property.
2. riff raff increase
3. theft of stuff
4. using the place for other than specified
5. liability
6. negative reflection on your carwash if the guy has any problem whatsoever with any customer.
7. a poor fit with how you run your carwash
8. problems that may arise from the detailer's poor money management skills.
9. " " " " " " " " professionalism.
Hmm...that's exactly why haven't jumped into it yet. It all goes up and down with the person you get, I guess. I'd really need to do my homework on that guy. Maybe on a month to month contract. Best scenario was if I knew that person.

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
Another point to this that I can't answer, is how much hastle do you go through if you make the investment and train someone, and then a few weeks or months later your employee quits. I know things go on, but hiring and training takes time and energy. Is the money there to make it worth the trouble?