What's new

Refund? Believe This ? Caller Complaint

blurdgman

Reaction score
Message on complaint line:

"I'm at one of your washes and I want you to know that I spent 8 tokens trying to wash my car and I stopped after 8 and it still has soap on it. I don't know what's wrong but I can't get it finished. It seems that I had to pay for three washes and it's still not clean. My number is XXX-XXX-XXXX I'd like some kind of refund."

Hic Up!

jprb

Reaction score
If all of the services are working properly, I'd invite them back to see what they did. Give them a free wash to show you how they washed the car. Also use it as an educational time for them learn how to use the services correctly. When it all works, and no soap is left, they should be happy. If something has mafunctioned, invite them back, wash the car, AND give them a refund, or tokens to use next time they come back.

JPRB

MEP001

Reaction score
I put cameras in all the bays for just that sort of thing. It's easy to tell if someone is going around and around their car trying to get soap off or if they just spent a few seconds on rinse after foam brush and didn't do an adequate job of rinsing. Regardless, I would both check the bay thoroughly to make sure there's no problem such as soap in the spot-free rinse and give them some token refund. If they're telling the truth it's a good show of goodwill to give them a "no questions asked" refund, and if they're lying you're only out a few minutes of bay time.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I get names and addresses and mail the refund / Tokens. That way ifit is a repeat scam they only get me once since I put a copy of the letter in a file. Typicaly I throw in a bonus such as a free air freshener with a letter and my apologies.

blurdgman

Reaction score
We always refund their money plus give a few extra tokens. This guy was drunk, Hic Up. 8 tokens amounts to 12 minutes and our equipment was working properly.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Are your tokens worth $.25 or $1? I've had a couple of people complain that I'm too expensive when they can't wash their whole car for a buck fifty. I never say what I'm thinking, which is: Is this your first time at a car wash since 1950?

blurdgman

Reaction score
Tokens are $1.
Our average for CC customers is between $4.70 to $5.60 per wash. They don't hear a buzzer and they push "stop" when they're finished. They account for 31% of our business.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take the opportunity to make a customer for life. So he was hiccuping, big deal. Who among us hasn't had 'one too many' ever in their life (if that even was the issue)?

Call the customer. Refund the $. Show em how to wash: 'Carwash 101' style.

See what happens.

In these times can we really afford to alienate a customer in any way? Many will argue and there are exceptions to every rule. But I say no, we must strive toward 100% customer satisfaction.

Kevin James

Reaction score
If everything is working properly why reward someone with a refund if they are too DRUNK or STUPID to turn the system on to RINSE. Anyone who is DRUNK and is in physical control of a motor vehicle doesn?t belong at a carwash. They belong in JAIL!!!!!

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I get the hiccups when I drink fountain soda too fast, so would you assume I was drunk? :)

In my opinion I would refund the money, however, I would attempt to give tokens or a gift card for an amount a little more than what they supposedly spent. That way it's less cash out of your pocket, there's a chance he'll come back, and you may get the "customer for life". If they want cash, then give him the exact amount and send him on his way. I usually record the names of people I refund so I don't get scammed twice.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
jprb has the right idea, see what happened and give him a free wash, you cover all bases. Find out what happened, he will probably realize that he was at fault, and you allow him to save face and cement a good relationship, he will have nothing but positive things to say about you to anyone that ask him. Bottom line is that it cost you nothing and you have a lot to gain. He might be in charge of a fleet.