What's new

Reducing Startup Time

Tpoppa

Reaction score
Currently my start up time is 4 min. I am considering reducing to 3:45 or 3:30. I have no signs that state the time just what is displays on the timers. My closest competitor was at 3:30 last I checked. Do you think many would notice?

MEP001

Reaction score
They're more likely to if you have digital timers. If you don't, try reducing the time per coin by a couple seconds a month until it's where you want it. The regulars won't notice the gradual decrease, and the once-a-month washers aren't that diligent and won't be comparing. I've found that gradually reducing the time even with digital timers won't cause any complaints except from the worst tightwads.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
What is the reasoning behind dropping the time? If there is a specific reason, post it on your changers and be done with it. That way you can "blame" something outside of yourself and be up front with your customers. If there isn't a specific reason, then what MEP suggests is a good solution.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
Good comments. I could always blame higher utility costs. If I post a sign, more people would actually notice that they are getting less time. My gut feeling is that very few of my customers would notice. I like the gradual approach.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
No one knows your customers better than you. Go with your gut, it's usually the right way to go.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I posted 3"x4" signs stating property taxes, maintence,etc at the changers and coin boxes.if i am asked in person I blame it on Obamacare and the EPA,most understand.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd never expect my customers to care about my higher expenses and/or lower margins. A sign about your specific expenses? REALLY??? That is in very poor taste, IMO, but to each his own.

They all think we're richer than rich anyhow, so they won't even believe your sign about 'poor me'.

If you need to raise your price, do it sooner rather than later.

This is a tough business and though you don't want to lose customers, you don't need to over-explain yourself either.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Change it and be done with it. You don't need to put signage up explaining why, that would just draw more attention to it. Do you see signs on the gas pumps when the price goes up?

I've had to change prices a couple of times, the complaints will probably be far fewer than you anticipate. As MEP mentioned, the tightwads will notice and probably comment. You can have the conversation with them when/if they approach you.

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
I was in a similar situation. I lowered time and kept price the same. For me this was a big mistake. I had lots of regulars say "Raise it a quarter for the same amount of time...I can get the whole car washed for one set of quarters". This was purely his preference but from a regular (once a week min.) washer I will listen. I didn't have the heart to tell him he could just add another quarter or two at start up and be right back where they wanted.

Next time I will go up on price and stay the same on time....the "perception" around here dictates it. If there is a way more easily tolerated by customers, then that is the one I will take. Maybe be totally different where you are.

AJ

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Pricing

One thing I have learned is to work out the details of your *next* price increase as a part of deciding on *this* increase. You want a smooth path if you can.

I'm going the opposite direction from lowering time. I am changing over this winter from $2/4 mins to $3/6 mins. Still .50 per minute, but the 1/3 of my customers who pay minimum time will have to pay $3 instead of $2. And for people washing off mud, I get an extra buck even though I don't want the mud for any price.

I sell dollar tokens and don't price anything in a .25 increment or .25 multiple. I want customer to think in terms of dollars to spend, not quarters.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I just went to $2 for 3min. Up just a quarter, But at the same time went to $1 tokens, and give a free Token on a $10 bill. Had very few ask, and those that did i told them they could save money with a $10 bill, and they were fine. When i am washing hunters blood and mud off the walls and entry floors and off the changer i wish I was $10 for 10seconds, or less. Sequoia has the right idea, my next increase will be to $3 but maybe not so much time, we spend alot of money on heat up here, and alot of days no washing going on due to blizzards.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Wax, you be wrong on this one. I've done it both ways and both worked. People's expenses also go up, and they get raises at work. They understand.

The ones that amuse me are the ones that bitch at any price, no matter what it is, so I say "Well, I understand your thoughts, but I've got $500K tied up here and I'd like to pay it off some day". They ALWAYS say " $500K, God, how can this be that expensive"? I just walk away.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just an opinion and you know what those are like...:)

I've got more and more customers at my detail shop quoting ficticious prices I NEVER charged before, trying to get jobs for less. I don't explain about my bills because to me that is not their business or concern. But again just my opinion.

DavidM

Reaction score
Last time we raised prices we did it by lowering the time from 4:30 to 4 minutes. Only a handful of people noticed. Our boxes do have a sticker that tells them how much time they have and we have digital timers but almost no one cared.
Our reasoning for changing the time was to keep an even $ increment. We want to get away from people thinking about quarters at a car wash so we don't want to be priced at $2.25 or 2.50 or 2.75
We also dispense only dollar coins and bills.

David

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I like the thought process of keeping everything in $1 increments. Getting the customers out of the mindset of using quarters would be extremely innovative and help all of us out a lot more. IMO, we all offer a tremendous service at a very reasonable price, it's probably time we start getting paid for our offerings. Now if we can just drive off the "$3 Wash" idiots we'd all be in a happier place.