What's new

Recycling Systems

Waihekecarwash

Reaction score
Anyone use a recycling system they can recommend ?

Last edited:

mac

Reaction score
What type of wash operation are you running? The only place I have seen these work is with conveyor systems simply because most use a lot of water.

Waihekecarwash

Reaction score
What type of wash operation are you running? The only place I have seen these work is with conveyor systems simply because most use a lot of water.
Self Serve and roll over and laundromat

mac

Reaction score
Well don’t expect too much. I just have never seen any reclaim unit that turned out water anywhere close to city water quality. Wish there was one.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Self Serve and roll over and laundromat
From what I have gathered ... it is not practical for your portion that is self service laundromat because of the extreme variety of chemicals used to clean over which the owner has no control over. A drycleaner or "full service only" laundromat ... it could be a different story. BTW ... laundromats that don't skimp on proper water usage for the most effective results per # of fills have some really challenging water-sewage bills recently ... & possibly getting even worse as time goes by!

Waihekecarwash

Reaction score
From what I have gathered ... it is not practical for your portion that is self service laundromat because of the extreme variety of chemicals used to clean over which the owner has no control over. A drycleaner or "full service only" laundromat ... it could be a different story. BTW ... laundromats that don't skimp on proper water usage for the most effective results per # of fills have some really challenging water-sewage bills recently ... & possibly getting even worse as time goes by!
Thanks for the input. It is a full service laundromat with only the same detergents. Are you saying that a laundromat produces worse water than a carwash ?

Waihekecarwash

Reaction score
My main concern is that there is nothing filtering lint from the laundromat waste water before it goes into our recycling system and possibly being the main cause of clogging the sand filter ?
I take it your laundromat waste water goes straight into the sewer system ? Is this monitored at all?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
My main concern is that there is nothing filtering lint from the laundromat waste water before it goes into our recycling system and possibly being the main cause of clogging the sand filter ?
I take it your laundromat waste water goes straight into the sewer system ? Is this monitored at all?
We have a stainless steel lint trap at the end of our main 30+ washing machine bulkhead. It is custom made with over one hundred 1/4" diameter lint catching holes that need to be cleaned at least once a week. I am not familiar with recycling system stages & how potential lint would be dealt with. I do remember back in 2007 seeing a car wash with enough real estate (land etc) with recycling in Des Moines at a Heartland Car Wash Assn during a stop on a guided tour with other operators. The owner did appear to be in my eyes ... pretty stressed out & not overjoyed with it ... not that I want to jump to conclusions about his success with it. Like Mac & others with much more recycle expertise can probably elaborate on the "learning curve" involved.

We did have inspectors from the city inspect our drains from time to time but the seem to be much more focused on the self service car wash portion of our business. I think an inspector did tell me they have some monitoring within the vast sewer system within the city. He did say there was problem with the chemicals a full service truck wash was using a few miles from us that they had to correct!

Waihekecarwash

Reaction score
We have a stainless steel lint trap at the end of our main 30+ washing machine bulkhead. It is custom made with over one hundred 1/4" diameter lint catching holes that need to be cleaned at least once a week. I am not familiar with recycling system stages & how potential lint would be dealt with. I do remember back in 2007 seeing a car wash with enough real estate (land etc) with recycling in Des Moines at a Heartland Car Wash Assn during a stop on a guided tour with other operators. The owner did appear to be in my eyes ... pretty stressed out & not overjoyed with it ... not that I want to jump to conclusions about his success with it. Like Mac & others with much more recycle expertise can probably elaborate on the "learning curve" involved.

We did have inspectors from the city inspect our drains from time to time but the seem to be much more focused on the self service car wash portion of our business. I think an inspector did tell me they have some monitoring within the vast sewer system within the city. He did say there was problem with the chemicals a full service truck wash was using a few miles from us that they had to correct!
Thanks for the input. Seems strange that there are not more elaborate systems out there.

mac

Reaction score
The best reuse systems sem to be the lest complicated. For instance Waiheke you could eliminate the screen thingy with just a big sttling tank with baffles. Of all the things in this business reuse systems are the things that are the most misunderstood, overpriced, and least effective.