What's new

Reclaim System Advise

TOMMYB

Reaction score
We are a new Carwash, have only been open since December 07. We are located in tennesse, our county has the highest water bills known in tennessee. We are looking into possibly putting in a reclaim system, but we do not know much of what to look for or expect. Our carwash rep. is telling us that it will cut our water bills in half. Any advise on equipment and cost savings would be greatly appreciated.

TOMMYB

Reaction score
Our combined water and sewer bill runs around $2,000 ber month.

mac

Reaction score
Well some systems can cut water and sewer bills a lot, but it is not so cut and dried. A lot depends on the wash you have. If it all self serve, don't expect much of a savings. A touchless automatic is the biggest user for reclaimed water. Putting one in after the fact can be pricey if you have to tear up the drive. Most good installed systems will run around 25K to 40K depending on the desired flow rate and water quality. Whatever system you decide on, make darned sure there are some local references you can talk to. Preferrably ones that have been in use for at least a year.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
Hi Tommy,

I'm guessing from your water / sewer bill that you do have an automatic.

A good reclaim system can save you about 70% on your water / sewer bills. In your case, water and sewer are $ 2,000.00 a month, you can expect savings of about $ 1,400.00 per month. Your upfront investment of (ballpark) $35,000.00 will cost you about $ 750.00 a month offering an instant $650.00 a month savings, this is a very good return on investment. Once paid for, you will realize the full $1,400.00 per month plus what ever increases you encounter by then! Of course there are some operating /maintenance expenses but those are typically minimal compared to the savings.

I have actually had clients tell me their reclaim system is the difference between profit and no profit.

Things to look for in a reclaim system:

Reasonable upfront installation cost
No odor guarantee in writing (water odor is your worst enemy)
Low operating expense
Low maintenance
Able to reclaim Self-Service Bays
Long Term Warranty

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you do have a touchless and it has spot free rinse, a quick and simple way to cut water bills is to install a system to reclaim and re-use your r.o. reject water.

Use the search here to look it up.

My plans for this are underway currently.