What's new

Rear Wiper Arms on a IBA

JonKush

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been running my Istobal M12 for almost a year now. I have been running in to problems lately that when the 2 side brushes go to the rear of the vehicle and go from side to side. Somehow somewhere in that motion it is catching the rear wiper arms and snapping them off.
I did notice that it is mostly on Honda/Acura vehicles and a few others like the Caddy Escalade and Kia's. It does not do it to every one but it does it to quite a few.
We have adjusted the pressure of the brushes and it seemed ok for a week or so and it just did it again to an Acura. I noticed on the Honda/Acura Trucks that the rear wiper arms are kind of fat and bulky. They stick off of the vehicle than most other trucks.
I have seen the Rear Wiper Bags. Do they help ? We tried to tape them down but had no success with that at all.
Is this a common problem with Friction Units? Has anyone else had the same issue happening as much as I do?
Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Check your soap application you need to have your material very lubricated so it's not to grab wipers, antennas, etc

JonKush

Reaction score
Check your soap application you need to have your material very lubricated so it's not to grab wipers, antennas, etc
I do have plenty of product on the car when this happens. I will keep a closer look. It might be getting rinsed too much as the brushes are going back and forth.

DavidM

Reaction score
If you didn't have problems before and they recently started, I would focus on what might have changed. Lubricity and the condition of the foam wash material are two possible issues.

The wiper bags do work. With a bag on, there isn't anything for the brush to grab. The downside is the extra steps required put it on and take if off after the wash.

I haven't experienced any rear wiper issues on our Wesumat machine.

David

JonKush

Reaction score
If you didn't have problems before and they recently started, I would focus on what might have changed. Lubricity and the condition of the foam wash material are two possible issues.

The wiper bags do work. With a bag on, there isn't anything for the brush to grab. The downside is the extra steps required put it on and take if off after the wash.

I haven't experienced any rear wiper issues on our Wesumat machine.

David
Nothing has changed. The Brushes still look and feel brand new. I have been useing the same products from day 1. I have 1 of the guys from Istobal USA coming this week to check it out.

wolfey24

Reaction score
Wiper arms

What did the guys from Istobal tell you? We had 2 M'NEX22's installed in May 2011 and by August we were finding rear wiper blades and entire wiper arms that were broken off in our bays. First we were told we were using the wrong soaps so we switched to armorall. It continues to happen. We just backed the pressure of the top brush off and its still happening. Our installer keeps telling us its a lubrication problem but im starting to think the Carlite brushes are grabbing the wipers with all the little "fingers". I am thinking this because we had 2 Wesumats before the Istobals and never once had this problem. The top brushes on the Wesumats had much larger "fingers' or foam bristles. I am very anxious to see what they told you.

JonKush

Reaction score
It was a pressure issue. They actually wrote me a new EPROM which is really just an SD card for the programs. I really haven't had a problem since. You definitely must make sure you have plenty of product on the vehicle. It's been quite a few months and I only had 2 arms break off. 1 was a 90 something Toyota 4runner arm the arm was old and rusty and the other was a newer ford edge. When I looked up the ford on the internet it seems like it is a real bad design. People were complaining about how weak they were. They were breaking from the weight of snow being on them.
I would definitely make sure of the pressure on the side brushes. I originally thought it was the top brush on mine doing it and it was actually the side brushes when the are both together going side to side along the rear of the vehicle. Also make sure the brushes are spinning in the proper direction. The best way for that is to look at the video they have from the Vegas show last year and see which way the brushes are spinning and when they change direction.
I don't think it's the brush material it self or I would still be having the problems. I won't say how many washes a day I do buy it's a lot and more than we ever hoped for.
Hope this info helps.