What's new

Realistic Friction Speeds?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In another thread a friction rollover carwash speed of 1 minute per car was discussed.

How realistic is this? Don't most blower cycles alone use up a minute of time?

What are typical wash speeds of workhorse friction iba units?

At what point does an operator perform cost/revenue anaylsis of rollover friction vs conveyorized?

MEP001

Reaction score
There certainly are friction rollovers that can complete a cycle in one minute, but not a full, quality wash with dry. We're looking at replacing the Vector with a Freestyler - I've seen a video with a wash completed in just over a minute, but it was just a quick soap, a little brushing and a rinse. I'm sure most customers wouldn't be satisfied with that and would be willing to pay more for a complete package.

JustClean

Reaction score
Even if there was a 1 minute wash the customer perception would be that he just paid amount X and it's all over. Even if the car was clean they think they won't get a good deal...and the kids don't like it either.

Dirt

Laser Blade
Reaction score
With a Ryko SoftGloss, a realistic number is 12 cars per hour. I guess you could call that 5 minutes per car? You could definitely do more than that if, for example, everyone gets the basic wash & rinse without the dry. That package takes about half the time, but nobody really wants it. Running with the doors down slows things down too. Then there's the people who don't prepay, wait for who knows what to pull out, wait for who knows what to pull in, stop right before the treddle, put it in park, and stare at the flashing GREEN lights. There are a lot of factors that determine how fast a machine can clean a car. Im sure factory numbers would be way high , but thats not something you try at home, being its on a closed course with trained professional drivers. Realistically..........12CPH.

mac

Reaction score
I think JustClean hit the nail on the head. Think of this as like a haircut. I actually went to a guy for a short while that was on a speed kick to cut hair. Don't think I was in the chair long enough to warm it up. My wife thought the cut looked OK, but I was disappointed in the process/experience. When it's your turn in the chair or wash bay, you want to feel like you're getting your money's worth.

washnvac

Reaction score
I have a friction unit that washes 11 per hour. This is with the dryers outside the exit doors, so there is no hold up. I recently installed the same type iba with the dryers inside the bay. (this was due to exit area). This adds another 1.5 minutes to the process. Thus cutting 3 cars per hour from my potential.