What's new

Raypak Boilers

klugej

Reaction score
Hello, i operate a full serve tunnel in Minnesota. We have two Raypak boilers to heat the water. These boilers are classified as Low Pressure Boilers.
Yesterday the State Inspector came to the site and told our manager that we needed someone on site that had a boilers license. I do all of the maintenance on these boilers and to be honest the only item i ever replace are the flow switches. I am curious how other sites have dealt with this issue? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Hello, i operate a full serve tunnel in Minnesota. We have two Raypak boilers to heat the water. These boilers are classified as Low Pressure Boilers.
Yesterday the State Inspector came to the site and told our manager that we needed someone on site that had a boilers license. I do all of the maintenance on these boilers and to be honest the only item i ever replace are the flow switches. I am curious how other sites have dealt with this issue? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
Kluge,

How many BTU? Our fees are $20 for the certificate & if a change or repair of pressure vessel is happening ---- another additional $40 per boiler. This extra cost can potentially add up if a person has many modular boilers. How many hours of schooling & exam requirements is involved to get a boiler license in Minnesota?

Among other smaller boilers, I have a 399K Raypak boiler that I got from Huron Valley Sales that the boiler inspector just makes us pop the relief valve in front of him & he closes a ball valve to make sure the flow switch is working properly. The last few years the our general property insurance company has a Hartford inspector who is allowed to take the place of the boiler inspector unless he finds a problem. I sure hope that mindset is not spreading over here to the west of you in North Dakota. I know there can be a push & pull over these things & it usually comes down to a city mindset vs a more rural mindset!

MJ

klugej

Reaction score
MJ, thanks for getting back to me. These Raypak boilers are over 1 million BTU's each. We need such large boilers because our incoming water temperature in the winter is so low. When we are busy the one boiler will not keep up with the demand.
I have not investigated what is involved in getting a boilers license but I guess I will have to. In the past the State Inspector would come once a year, charge us $120.00 and leave us a certificate that we would download from the states web site. They want these boilers inspected daily and a log kept for each boiler.
Thanks again.
Happy New Year