What's new

RainX and Distributor dilemma

B

blake247

Awhile back the chemical rep from my local PDQ distributor dropped off some Rain X literature. After some thought I decided to take the plunge and offer it. I adjusted my packages and prices, put out the banners, changed access graphics, added the extra injector, etc. Everything was going swell until one day I tried to pick up a 30 gallon and was told "Sorry, we cannot sell it to you anymore unless you're with Tetco (gas station chain)". I informed the guy the guy behind the counter that I was already setup and running rain x but he didn't care, nor did anyone else. The only option I was given was to switch to LustraShield. Sorry, but that's not what I wanted. Their decision left me with worthless signage (at least they paid for some), and upset customers because I could no longer deliver the advertised product.

Now I've seen numerous posts by people inquiring where to purchase RainX and the usual response has been "contact your distributor". Well this company IS the local distributor but will only sell to a particular chain of stores. Do you think Ecolab would be happy with their distributor signing exclusive deals with only one company and throwing the rest of their RainX customers under the bus?

What are my options? Can I order Rain X online?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Go talk with a lawyer, I'd think you have a breach of contract, even though they didn't guarantee to sell to you forever, they set you up and got you to change your way of doing things, their performance of selling to you , constitutes a contract. You didn't cause them to stop selling to you they did. I'm also thinking anti-trust laws might also come into play.

Years ago, I was a distr. for a product and then they got a bigger and better one, saying that he had an exclusivity, therefore not selling to me any more. After a trip to their factory, the threat of a suit and a nice expensive free lunch, they decided that they would sell to me under the table.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Try contacting someone higher up at ecolab. They might not like a distr. not selling their product. It sounds like the distr. is making up his own rules. I am sure someone out there will sell it to you.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Strong arm tactics have been used with Rain-X for years. The distributor for my area would only sell it to you if you used their complete line of products. All that did was guarantee that I never buy any Ecolab products. Rain-X has the name recognition that everyone wants and most of the other names don't mean much. Turtle wax has a similar product I just started using called Total Turtle. The name is cute and memorable and has the brand recognition of Turtle. Get new signs made and let Eco drink their damn product.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Rain-x has the name recognition but that's about it. I never really cared for the product. We switched to Diamond Shine's Weatherguard which actually works, smells better and is less expensive. They also have marketing material available to use.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I would also talk to the head guy at that company and tell him they need to deliver the product or they need to eat the costs for your change in signage. If they would refuse I would elect to not use that carwash distributor for anything ever again if at all possible and tell everyone else in the industry about that your experience.

You can buy RAIN-X straight from factory territory reps. If used at the proper strength it's a great product. Don't be stingy, though. I use a purple tip in my hydrominder. It cost me about .45 per application.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW I believe Turtle Wax has more brand recognition that RainX.

Also, many only know RainX as the water repellant used on glass. Some like it and some do not, so it actually has some negative connotations associated with it as well as being less widely-recognizes than the Turtle Wax brand:eek:.

Just one guys opinion; I stopped using these specialized sealants awhile ago; for me it was not worth the extra cost.

WashnDry

Reaction score
I can help.....

Blake:

Please email me @ tbw_2004@yahoo.com for help with this problem

I ran into the same issue and can pass along the name of the ECOLAB direct rep for your area.....

I assume you are referring to a distributor most of us know well in the TEXAS market and I for sure feel your pain - No need to spend a lot of extra money to resign and change your machine and your customer expectations at all

Thanks

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
People in my area love the Rain-x products. IMO, the regular Joe isn't going to know or be able to tell a difference. I think that marketed properly, any product would work just fine.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There are a number of fine super sealants on the market today. While a brand name may influence an initial buying decision the ultimate success of the product is the repeat business if the product performs well.

MEP001

Reaction score
rph9168 said:
While a brand name may influence an initial buying decision the ultimate success of the product is the repeat business if the product performs well.
Sometimes the "ultimate success" of a product is getting customers to use it in the first place. If brand recognition brings them in to see that it performs well, it's likely to be a bigger success.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Sometimes the "ultimate success" of a product is getting customers to use it in the first place. If brand recognition brings them in to see that it performs well, it's likely to be a bigger success.
The key is the performance of the product. While a name brand may entice someone to purchase it the first time there are other methods other than paying a premium price for the product to get someone to try it that can be equally effective. One does not have to pay top dollar for a super sealant to be successful with it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Please Please Please
1. Contact Ecolab direct and see if they know what the distributer is doing.
2. Please advise as to the results.
3. If Ecolab backs the rep, please say the magic wods "Anti Trust" and see what happens.

If the distributer is a Nimrod and Ecolab doesn't know, one can hardly fault Ecolab. It would be faulting us for the Bonehead move of one of our employees before we knew about it.

BTW I know Ecolab monitors the forum. Inadvertently got a rep in toruble with them once for a post. Oh, and Ecolab if you see this and are wondering who or what, they are long gone.

mac

Reaction score
I would also like to know who this distributor is. He sounds like the PDQ one in Florida.

WashnDry

Reaction score
I have a feeling this is the PDQ distributor from Texas who only services corporate accounts with ECOLAB product - they were a past distributor who is no longer a direct supplier of their products

There are ECOLAB direct sales reps all across Texas - The one in South Texas which encompasses Austin, San Antonio, Etc is named Travis Wilson

He is my rep for ECOLAB and is very easy to deal with

His direct cell # is 832-373-9442 - He is based out of New Braunfels, TX

I am more than confident he will be able to take care of your issue and provide you RAINX, etc

just my .02 cents..........

B

blake247

Thank you guys so much for the wonderful feedback! I was able to get in contact with Ecolab Corporate, and while they were sympathetic to my situation, I was informed that it was out of their hands. Blah..whatever. They recommended two distributors in Texas. One was located 280 miles away in Dallas, TX, the other claimed they were never an Ecolab distributor..lol. At that point I was pulling my hair out until I saw WashnDry's post! I was able to get ahold of his distributor who will be meeting with me on Friday. Very friendly guy and I look forward to using him as well. Thanks again for all of the replies.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
T........I was able to get in contact with Ecolab Corporate, and while they were sympathetic to my situation, I was informed that it was out of their hands. Blah..whatever. .
Disapointing to say the least that thye apparently have no say in how their distributers operate particularly if it comes to denying supply of their product to potential customers.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Go to Ecolab's web site and you will see that they don't want to talk to anyone but a distr. That is one thing that the Forum has made some small changes in with smart companies. Obviously Ecolab is big enough that they don't really give a crap about you or me.

gearhead

Reaction score
Rain X without Blue Coral?

Hello all! i am brand new to the forum as i am to the car wash industry. i have been an owner for just over a year. i found this forum while trying to find some info on rain x. In alot of the posts i have seen ecolab mentioned and rain x but not Blue Coral. i was told by my Blue Coral dist. that i can not sell rain x without selling Blue Coral. i am looking to change soaps because of the pricing. Another dist. is telling me he can get it for me and it is on the up and up. If some one could shed some light on this subject it would be very much appreciated.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Hello all! i am brand new to the forum as i am to the car wash industry. i have been an owner for just over a year. i found this forum while trying to find some info on rain x. In alot of the posts i have seen ecolab mentioned and rain x but not Blue Coral. i was told by my Blue Coral dist. that i can not sell rain x without selling Blue Coral. i am looking to change soaps because of the pricing. Another dist. is telling me he can get it for me and it is on the up and up. If some one could shed some light on this subject it would be very much appreciated.
IMNSHO Distributors are Nimrods if seeking to enforce some exclusive deal. Can't help but wonder if there may be some anti trust violation issues if this policy is followed and I also can't help but wonder if Ecolab would sanction such a practice. If at all possible cut the Nimrod's nuts off by going around them and buying what you want thru any other available channel.